36 hours and counting...
Till the 3-DAY BREAST CANCER WALK starts! My Team of "Distance Divas" (sis-in-law Jan Eerkes, Annie Mix, Jo-Ann Kelly and Carla Cumpston..... and formerly, Barb Smith) have been training for months. This will be "60 in '06". Since we start on Friday, with Opening Ceremonies at 6:30 am (Yes, in the morning!) at Marymoor Park, this week's focus is on packing the gear, and not exceeding 35 pounds. Good grief, the queen sized inflatable mattress that Al ordered for Jan E. and I to share weighs more than its fair share already. Looking forward to the totally justified CARBO LOADING at Maggiano's tomorrow night! Yum!! Uh.... well, beside that, it has been "suggested" that I gain a little weight. Hot diggitty.... I've been doing FRENCH FRIES (my all time favorite food group), eggs benedict, hamburgers, and OH YEAH... Biscuits and GRAVY!! And, Al can't even say anything about it, other than "eat up, dear." By the way, check out the Issaquah Cafe for a really good breakfast! Stay tuned for more restaurant reviews.
Last Thursday morning, Dr. David Tauben (our wonderful primary physician, an internist at Minor & James) paid a HOUSE CALL on us (Jan and Steve R. joined Al and I), and he even brought Starbuck's drinks, custom ordered! Can you believe that?! We are so lucky that Al's college roommate, Cal Knight (now COO of Swedish Hospital) referred us to Dr. Tauben several years ago. I recall at the time, we were told that "as we age", it's good to be using an "interist". Dr. Tauben was quite horrified that he was stuck in London (post the foiled terrorist plot), and not here for us, when we received the diagnosis. That's why he wanted to make a house call. Anyway, the point here (among other 90 minutes of dialog), he told me to FOR SURE go ahead and WALK! I was so thrilled, because I feel good (with my mixed doses of Tylenol and Advil), and am not lacking energy.
Here I am with my very own BLOG. Good grief, I didn't even know what a BLOG was a month ago. Then, I read Tera Eerkes' BLOG, and I thought "what a hoot" (she's writing about her new life as a recently pregnant person). Well, I really didn't even know what a PANCREAS was a month ago either. It's all a learning experience. I suppose everyone worries about being told they have the "Big C".... doesn't everyone dread that as like one of the worst things that could ever happen?? Okay, this isn't great, but we're pretty sure I've had this since early in the year (when I started to feel some discomfort, at times.... always solved with Advil). I'm still the same person, looking for laughs and making the most of each moment. So, don't treat me any different than you always have. I sometimes wonder why I'm not more scared, and I'm taking all this in stride. Maybe the intensity will hit me later, but for now it really is a day at a time.
Everyone has been SO wonderful and caring. And, I do mean everyone.... friends, Bank of America colleagues, and oh my gosh, the medical professionals I've met are just incredible people. I've gotten really, really good at chatting it up with nurses and the techs. It's fun to learn about their lives. One person that sticks in my mind is Joiem, in nuclear medicine in the PET Scan area at Swedish. What a cool lady. So.... how did she get that name? Her mom and dad were hippies (her words, not mine) .... his name is Joseph and mom is Emily. The "I" in the middle is for her. Loved her. I asked her if she could come in and blab more with me, but she said since I was radioactive during the resting hour, she could only pop in for short stops. Yup, I can understand that. Steve R. told me he golfed one of his best games when he was radioactive. I didn't get the opportunity to try that, although I AM working on my golf this summer. I love Jan R's driver! I need my own!
We had a totally fun Ladies Night at Newcastle last Tuesday night. The TGs (Tennis Girls) finally got to meet the BGs (Banker Girls). What's ironic is that Kimmy Zipp and Jan R. had been telling me that I should host a girl party for the TGs and BGs to meet..... well, perhaps we weren't looking for this to be the catalyst, but hey... it worked. The TGs and the BGs totally hit it off. Jan also appreciated the opportunity. Her comment was "I'm really glad I met those girls, and like them; it will make it easier when I need to boss them around." I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone now, does it?
Whew, it has been a total whirlwind the past week. To ESCAPE we left for a long weekend at Roche Harbor, rendezvousing with Ann Trimble and Dick DePosit (our S.V. partners) at Anacortes for an incredibly fun flight to Roche Harbor on San Juan Airlines. Man, that is the way to get there! Beautiful views. We had such a fun time -- tennis, dining, cocktails on friends' boats, walking the docks, enjoying the San Juan sunshine. Thanks to all the fabulous people who made it such a FUN, FUN weekend -- Diane and Marty Tullus, Dick and Ann, Carla and Gary Cumpston (who were there on their new "yacht"), Gary and Janet (Al's brother and his wife on Arianna, their sailboat.... we LOVE them!!), Larry and Beth (Gary and Carla's totally neat boat partners from Oregon), Linda Edwards, Sandy Burbenese (oops, I'm not sure I know how to spell Sandy's last name), and the fun new people we met on the tennis courts, Wendy Bus and Mike Sparrow (no relation to Jack Sparrows the pirate, although he told his four year old that Jack is her uncle).
Okay, okay..... Jan R. and Anna R. (soon to be Anna Bhatia.... the cutest bride on the planet!! March 10th.... by invitation only.... Anna told me to say that, since it's a per head cost at Lake Union Cafe) are telling me to wrap it up because we have to go EAT again (remember what I said about eating at every opportunity).
Stay tuned for "medical updates" from the six sigma Green Belt project manager, aka Jan Rosenlund. Tomorrow we are paying a visit to Virginia Mason for their views on chemo, radiation and heaven only knows what else. Be positive, be happy, and live in the moment. Oh, and we highly recommend Rombauer Chardonnay as the house white in every cellar. Salute!
Last Thursday morning, Dr. David Tauben (our wonderful primary physician, an internist at Minor & James) paid a HOUSE CALL on us (Jan and Steve R. joined Al and I), and he even brought Starbuck's drinks, custom ordered! Can you believe that?! We are so lucky that Al's college roommate, Cal Knight (now COO of Swedish Hospital) referred us to Dr. Tauben several years ago. I recall at the time, we were told that "as we age", it's good to be using an "interist". Dr. Tauben was quite horrified that he was stuck in London (post the foiled terrorist plot), and not here for us, when we received the diagnosis. That's why he wanted to make a house call. Anyway, the point here (among other 90 minutes of dialog), he told me to FOR SURE go ahead and WALK! I was so thrilled, because I feel good (with my mixed doses of Tylenol and Advil), and am not lacking energy.
Here I am with my very own BLOG. Good grief, I didn't even know what a BLOG was a month ago. Then, I read Tera Eerkes' BLOG, and I thought "what a hoot" (she's writing about her new life as a recently pregnant person). Well, I really didn't even know what a PANCREAS was a month ago either. It's all a learning experience. I suppose everyone worries about being told they have the "Big C".... doesn't everyone dread that as like one of the worst things that could ever happen?? Okay, this isn't great, but we're pretty sure I've had this since early in the year (when I started to feel some discomfort, at times.... always solved with Advil). I'm still the same person, looking for laughs and making the most of each moment. So, don't treat me any different than you always have. I sometimes wonder why I'm not more scared, and I'm taking all this in stride. Maybe the intensity will hit me later, but for now it really is a day at a time.
Everyone has been SO wonderful and caring. And, I do mean everyone.... friends, Bank of America colleagues, and oh my gosh, the medical professionals I've met are just incredible people. I've gotten really, really good at chatting it up with nurses and the techs. It's fun to learn about their lives. One person that sticks in my mind is Joiem, in nuclear medicine in the PET Scan area at Swedish. What a cool lady. So.... how did she get that name? Her mom and dad were hippies (her words, not mine) .... his name is Joseph and mom is Emily. The "I" in the middle is for her. Loved her. I asked her if she could come in and blab more with me, but she said since I was radioactive during the resting hour, she could only pop in for short stops. Yup, I can understand that. Steve R. told me he golfed one of his best games when he was radioactive. I didn't get the opportunity to try that, although I AM working on my golf this summer. I love Jan R's driver! I need my own!
We had a totally fun Ladies Night at Newcastle last Tuesday night. The TGs (Tennis Girls) finally got to meet the BGs (Banker Girls). What's ironic is that Kimmy Zipp and Jan R. had been telling me that I should host a girl party for the TGs and BGs to meet..... well, perhaps we weren't looking for this to be the catalyst, but hey... it worked. The TGs and the BGs totally hit it off. Jan also appreciated the opportunity. Her comment was "I'm really glad I met those girls, and like them; it will make it easier when I need to boss them around." I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone now, does it?
Whew, it has been a total whirlwind the past week. To ESCAPE we left for a long weekend at Roche Harbor, rendezvousing with Ann Trimble and Dick DePosit (our S.V. partners) at Anacortes for an incredibly fun flight to Roche Harbor on San Juan Airlines. Man, that is the way to get there! Beautiful views. We had such a fun time -- tennis, dining, cocktails on friends' boats, walking the docks, enjoying the San Juan sunshine. Thanks to all the fabulous people who made it such a FUN, FUN weekend -- Diane and Marty Tullus, Dick and Ann, Carla and Gary Cumpston (who were there on their new "yacht"), Gary and Janet (Al's brother and his wife on Arianna, their sailboat.... we LOVE them!!), Larry and Beth (Gary and Carla's totally neat boat partners from Oregon), Linda Edwards, Sandy Burbenese (oops, I'm not sure I know how to spell Sandy's last name), and the fun new people we met on the tennis courts, Wendy Bus and Mike Sparrow (no relation to Jack Sparrows the pirate, although he told his four year old that Jack is her uncle).
Okay, okay..... Jan R. and Anna R. (soon to be Anna Bhatia.... the cutest bride on the planet!! March 10th.... by invitation only.... Anna told me to say that, since it's a per head cost at Lake Union Cafe) are telling me to wrap it up because we have to go EAT again (remember what I said about eating at every opportunity).
Stay tuned for "medical updates" from the six sigma Green Belt project manager, aka Jan Rosenlund. Tomorrow we are paying a visit to Virginia Mason for their views on chemo, radiation and heaven only knows what else. Be positive, be happy, and live in the moment. Oh, and we highly recommend Rombauer Chardonnay as the house white in every cellar. Salute!


5 Comments:
At 11:07 AM,
Anonymous said…
Test comment!
At 11:06 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Maija!
Did you know you've always been on my personal list of hero's? I have been in awe of you since the day I met you!!
Just wanted you to know that I've just put a serious dent in the Eastlake "Pete's" Rombauer Chardonay supply!
Paula W (AKA Jonesy's Mom)
At 11:57 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hey Maija,
You continue to amaze me! Both you and Al are in our thoughts and prayers.
I looked through my collection of books and the one that reminds me most of you is No Limits But the Sky. I found two quotes in the book this morning that sum up your spirit of living each day to the fullest.
Seize the Day! "Maybe good things come to those who wait, but the best things come to those who seize the moment and make it their own."
Be Courageous! "Courage uncovers strength, grace reveals beauty, time strips away the frivolous, life layer on experience, and you have become magnificent."
My best to Al. See you soon. Eat more chicken!
Much love, Patrick
At 3:33 PM,
Anonymous said…
Maija,
What a wonderful way to stay in touch with everyone! It really sounds like you have the right attitude and am happy to hear that you are going on the walk which in itself will be so inspiring.
You will be in my thoughts often and I will have a glass of the Chardonay you recommended in your honor!
Cheers,
Marilyn
At 9:44 AM,
Anonymous said…
Maija!!
Hello hello! Fantastic job on the walk! Whew! 60 miles in 3 days is impressive!
Lara and I are in agreement we need you to get over here to Sun Valley so we can spoil you with great wine and good company! Bring the fabulous Rosenlunds with you!
That Rombauer Chardonay is through underground access at this point!
Cheers and look forward to seeing you!
Shanti
Post a Comment
<< Home