Sniglet's Mom

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Yahooo -- I conquered every step of the 3-DAY WALK!

What an amazing experience! Until you're there, participating, it's impossible to describe the feelings that one has, as one of 2,700 walkers decked out predominantly in pink. All on an important mission to eradicate breast cancer from this earth. The Seattle walk alone (which is one of 12 walks around the U.S.) raised $6.9 million!! Is that an incredible sum, or what?!? Thanks to the generous spirit of my friends and family, once the matching gifts come in, I think I'll hit $8,000. I need to go check the Distance Divas' tally... our team is probably around $27,000. You go girls!

Thank you to Annie Mix, Jo-Ann Kelly, Jan Eerkes and Carla Cumpston for the camaraderie, encouragement, giggles and incredibly memorable three days. And, boy... we did do the giggle thing. I'm still laughing about the fact that it was Jan E's first (and second) time ever in a tent. Then there was Annie's bandaid on her little toe, which looked like she'd grown a toenail for sniffing coke. The 9:00 pm cell phone conversation when we got reprimanded by another tent (for being loud too late!) while we were chatting it up with Jan R. When I started to whisper, Jan R. said she felt like she was listening in on a war zone. It's one of those "you would have had to have been there." Trust me on that.

We met great ladies along the way, not to mention the wonderful crew members, such as the three cheering gentlemen with the pink pom-poms on their shoes. The crew consisted of over 300 volunteers, with all kinds of tasks -- traffic control, food service, medical assistance, driving the shuttles and buses to pick up those who couldn't walk further. I loved the van that had slogans like "Cancer Sucks", "Fight Like a Girl", "K-O Cancer". If we managed to get a good picture of it, I'll be using that image for cards. The pics are at Costco for developing. We'll post some when they're ready.

We loved and appreciated the friends who turned out to cheer us on -- Cheri Birkeland and Karla Gray when we passed through downtown Kirkland on Friday. Dianne Pachosa circling the Kenmore area, looking for us. How fun that she actually found us! Jan's daughter, Kristin with her husband, John, and the most charming children ever -- my buddy Kaija and her brother, Matt, and Jan's cousin, Gwen. They had a sign that said "Go Grandma and Maija". Kaija sang a song, "Walking, walking, walking your socks off". Thank goodness she sings better than I do, since she sang it for hours, on her corner in Kirkland! I'm sure John is hearing it in his sleep. Thanks to JoAnne (Al's sister) and Vern (her hubby) for waiting for us for two hours on Day 3 at the cheering station by Deja Vu in Lake City. I hope Vern didn't go inside for any entertainment to pass the time.... It was posted that the cheering station was at the NW Kidney Center, but anyone who knows that area knows that Deja Vu is the dominant landmark since it's been there forever. :-) Barb and Randy Smith greeted us along Sandpoint Way. It was very special; Barb was one of the Distance Divas, but continuing blisters during training caused her to give up on attempting the walk. No doubt a smart choice on her part. Barb is a nurse, so I'm sure she could see the handwriting on the wall.

Goodness, who laid out this course anyway?? We had a LOT of hills, and more hills! I felt extremely strong on the hills, but I hadn't trained so much going d-o-w-n. Therefore, I now have some weird blisters under my toes. No complaining about blisters, though. Mine are nothing compared to my poor buddy, Annie. Although, I did decide to follow her suit, and called my doctor for a prescription ointment, and some antibiotics (which I won't take unless the blisters continue to be swollen into the long weekend). I take enough pills. We don't need to complicate matters with any more drugs.

The community support and outpouring of THANKS was simply awesome. People thanking us for walking, thanking us because of loved ones who have suffered from breast cancer, offering candy and refreshments. We particularly enjoyed their strategically placed sprinklers, and hoses. A fabulous way to cool off, and the folks who had squirt bottles to mist our hot bodies. Ice water coolers for our bandanas.... I never realized how refreshing an ice cold bandana can feel around your neck! You really do feel like you're making a difference when you see how many people are appreciative of the effort. It's extremely heartwarming. I would recommend the experience to anyone. If you can't walk, then volunteer to be on the crew.

We had the BIGGEST tail gate party of anyone, I believe, following the closing ceremonies at parking lot E-1 at UW. Thanks for the champagne and memories. Thanks to the TGs (Tennis Girls) -- Ann Trimble, Diane Tullus, Cathy Marsh, Nancy Trippel. Thanks to our loving & totally supportive husbands, Al and Terry Mix (I think Terry was aghast when he saw Annie's war wounds!). Thanks to Jan and Steve Rosenlund, Gary Badt and Tana Aardal, the Gibson family, Cheri Birkeland, Les and Tera Eerkes. It was also terrific to have Lara Stone (Jan's niece from Sun Valley, and a member of the Girls Walking A Breast Team) join us for the party.
Good grief, this feels like the Academy Awards. What if I neglect to thank someone? Eeeek!
Afterwards we all piled into cars and headed to the Rosenlunds for pizza.... and we walkers soaked our feet in an epsom salt brew, prepared by our resident nurse, Ann Trimble.

Here's an great line I learned from one of our inspirational speakers, a breast cancer survivor. "CANCER DOES NOT GET THE LAST WORD!" Words to live by, for sure.

Okay, so the profound impact of the Susan G. Komen foundation is very visible, right? Did anyone ever hear of anything comparable for pancreatic cancer? What's with that?? You can imagine that one of my missions will be to change that. Annie Mix and Kimmy Zipp have volunteered to examine the existing organizations, and learn more about their mission statements. I'm thinking they need tangible GOALS and ACTION PLANS, n'est pas? I have a quarterly magazine called "Women and Cancer" (funny how your reading material changes so quickly) and there are actually three organizations to explore -- www.pancan.org, www.cancerconsultants.com and www.lustgarten.org. We will report out, once we learn more.

Well, probably enough about the 3-DAY, but it was such a highlight. I feel very blessed that I was able to participate, since in the weeks leading up to it, I wasn't sure I would be allowed to (by my medical experts). My trainer, Christin Tercek, shared my joy since I did so well. I credit her for the fact that I had absolutely no muscle or joint pains. Strength training and stretching really do work. Lots of stretching. I can probably do without Gatorade for a long time though. A bouquet of pink flowers went to Christin.

NEXT STEP IN THE MEDICAL PROCESS. Tomorrow at 7:00 a.m. I am reporting in for day surgery at Virginia Mason Medical Center. I'm having a laparascopy, which will take about 40 minutes. This is one thing that really impressed us (Al, me and Jan R.) about VMMC, compared to other choices. Dr. Picozzi, my oncologist, wants to be precisely sure what he is dealing with before determining the chemo and/or radiation protocol. The CT Scans, although a good indicator are not 100% reliable. The additional process of the laparascopy will help him best define the treatment (the path report from the laparoscopy will reveal the exact extent of the cancer). Dr. Traverso, an oncology surgeon, who works with Dr. Picozzi, will perform the "lap". I met him earlier this week, and felt very good about him, and his extensive experience. A handsome man, '73 graduate of UCLA Medical School. He is also a clinical prof. of surgery at UW School of Medicine. I might have preferred to have the "lap" next week, so I could be in Sun Valley this weekend (and for the Bonnie Raitt concert at River Run), but he is lecturing on pancreatic surgery in Germany next week. We didn't feel it was prudent to wait for his return the week of September 11th (besides, that's not a good date).

Dr. Picozzi's patient load is 40% pancreatic cancer patients; he is currently "following" about 300 pancreatic patients. Interestingly, most of his referred patients come from out of the area (and out of state), not from the Puget Sound Region. He handles more pancreatic cancer patients than anyone in the U.S. He received his M.D. from Stanford in 1978, and has a Masters in Medical Management from Tulane. His internship and residency were at Harvard University, Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston. Fellowships in hematology and oncology at Stanford. As my friend Amy Houser said, it's very important to have an oncologist that you LIKE, have confidence in, and who can relate to you. Dr. Picozzi hits the mark on all counts. He has been at V.M. since 1985, so it's clear that he appreciates his team and colleagues, and he's very connected to pertinent research around the globe. In February he will be lecturing in Rome on the treatment of PanCan. Gee, maybe he'd like to take me along as a role model...?

My next appointment with Dr. Picozzi is on Wednesday, the 6th. I imagine after that I'll have detailed knowledge about the treatment protocol. It will be good to get going, and face the battle, now that we know the enemy.

THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD WISHES! I have received about 60 cards from friends, near and far. They are lovely. Thank you. I especially love the ones that entertain me, and also update me on your happenings.

Loved Carol Albo's card. On the front it says "Into every life a little rain must fall." Inside: "On those days I suggest one of those drinks with the little umbrellas." Ha, ha. Thanks, Carol! Is it okay to put umbrellas in Rombauer Chardonnay glasses? Sure, why not!

Most colorful, pretty card, from Kathi Atkins, with all the clown fish. It says "Knew you could use a smile, so I'm sending in the clowns!" Also fitting since "Send in the Clowns" has always been one of my favorite songs. Kathi, I do have some cat funnies I need to forward to you. (Kathi and I share a love of feline creatures.)

Great message from Rocky Johnson. How I laughed at his comment that he is NOT the "little guy on the cover" (vintage photo of the Iron Furnace in Lake Oswego, Oregon). Thanks for sharing what you and Luann are doing. Reading about what other people are up to is a lot more interesting than talking about cancer, believe me.

An inspirational thought from Chris Hooper (written by Elizabeth Kubler Ross... whoever she is):
"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." Thanks, Chris. I hope I will someday live up to that description.

It's time to sign off now. We're watching the "The Pink Panther" with Steve Martin tonight, as Al says, "if you ever finish writing". So.... that's where I'm headed. If you haven't seen "Love Actually" with Hugh Grant, that's a cute movie too. It was recommended by a friend. Pretty soon we need to start watching all of the wedding flicks with Jan & Steve, and Anna & Sachin, in prep for Anna and Sachin's March 10th wedding. Silly fun.

Oh, and two other wonderful things happened this week: I ran into Stacey Radick, my friend from grade school (we met in Kindergarten at Olympic View Elementary) during the 3-DAY WALK. It will be so good to get reconnected; we hadn't seen each other since our H.S. reunion four years ago. And, I heard from Pat Payne, who I adored when we were working together at Bank of America. I was afraid I'd lost touch with Pat, and she emailed me! You just want to hold on to those relationships which have been particularly dear over the years. Love you, Stacey and Pat!

11 Comments:

  • At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,

    When I completed my United Way contribution online this week, I searched for an organization that does research on Pancreatic Cancer, so I could dedicate my contribution. Once you and the girls do your research and determine your organization of choice, please make sure you communicate that info. The United Way campaign is happening right now and I for one would like to commit my giving to this important (and personal!) cause.

    Love ya!
    Jan R.

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Maija,

    It's so fun to hear more details "from the trenches" of the 3-day. Remember what they mentioned at the closing ceremonies: even though it's over and people are no longer clapping as you walk past, you're still a hero in all our minds! Congrats again!!!

    Love, Anna

    PS - Gee, I wonder if you should have started this blog thing a while ago?

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija:

    Thanks for sharing the walk experience -- and congratulations! What an accomplishment! Reading your note inspires me so thanks for the updates. You truly are one of those beautiful people already - you don't have to live up to that.

    Great idea by Jan - will look forward to pledge in our United Way Campaign at WaMu as well.

    Love,

    Karyn F.

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,

    Congratulations on a successful 3 Day! I looked for you last weekend but didn't see you - I was glad to hear you walked the whole time - I did too! Simonds Road was a doozy, huh?? :)

    What an accomplishment - CHEERS to you!
    ~Jennifer Waters

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,

    You are an incredible writer - I've been reading and re-reading, cracking up, hearing your voice in my head, seeing your facial expressions, etc. I feel I'm reading your workds via live video!

    As usual, I'm a little late on the 3-Day contribution, but don't worry, this weekend is catch-up weekend. Congrats on an amazing effort by you and your team! It sounds like you had a great time (although a little bloody for the 'ole feet) while making a huge impact with your fundraising.

    I hope to see you soon and think about you every day. Include me on one of the Banker Girl events very soon.

    Dana

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,

    Congratulations on completing the 3-day walk for breast cancer! You are a very strong lady.

    You were so sweet to call me when I had breast cancer that, upon hearing about your having pancreatic cancer, I wanted to write to you.

    Last year I was diagnosed with bladder and lung cancer for which I had immunotherapy for bladder and surgery and chemo for lung. I also had great doctors and I am feeling good!

    I know what you mean when you said that you wish that there were a Susan G. Koman for pancreatic cancer. I wish the same thing for lung cancer!!!

    Cancer does suck, but attitude is everything. It has changed me for the better in so many ways. I look at things differently and have a new appreciation of life and my wonderful friends who are my support system. And, my cat, Max, who is my little furry love boy, has been so essential to my well being.

    Take good care, Maija.

    Liz Katz

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another AMAZING Maija accomplishment! I love reading the blog about the experience of your 3 day walk. I promise I didn't read it while going 70 MPH on I-5 while reading my blackberry.

    Love you!
    Tracy

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,

    Everytime I receive "Kitty Things" I think of you and smile. I love my two little girls at home, Pumpkin and Spooky, who both turned a year old this month. They have graduated to sleeping in bed with me at night, along with the two little dogs, and Fluffbutt, our Ragdoll, oh, and of course my husband too. Please email me the kitty things. kathiatkins@comcast.net

    Congratulations on the 3-Day. I thought of you often on that weekend. I am thinking of doing it next year, but don't know if I am as brave as you.

    I love reading your blogs, and look forward to many many more.

    Kathi

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Maija -

    I added the links from this post into the "links" area in right-hand column of the blog. Let me know if you want any others added.

    Love ya!

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija!!
    I have been looking at your blog and I love it. Im happy that Sniglet likes muffins with peanut butter haha. Cant wait to see her eat it next time I go to Seattle. But next time I have to teach her to eat Coco Crips. I hope to see you and Al soon here.
    Huge "abrazo"
    Eriks 22

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija!
    Knowing you, you are doing exactly as we would expect.
    I have always said, you are a rolemodel as a human being.
    "Turies dus'igi".
    Maija and Al, we want to see you soon here, which ever A-Z plan you chose, will be perfect for us.
    Steve should have given you those thousand hugs we have sent you.
    Probably shortly we will be living near by, as there are serious plans to move Florida closer to Idaho (it is a hurricane advise)...that will place us in a closer possition to join you for a glass of wine or some french fries...no tartar sauce...
    Vienmer musu domas,
    Helena un Ivars

     

Post a Comment

<< Home