Sniglet's Mom

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Medical update from Jan R.....

Finally! Some good news! We (Al, Maija, me)met with Maija's oncologist yesterday afternoon to hear the results of her laparoscopy. Keep in mind, that procedure was conducted in order to confirm the doctor's belief that Maija's cancer had NOT spread to her organs and in particular, her liver. And the good news is (drum roll).....it has not!! She still has "advanced pancreatic cancer" (that is the official name of the stage of her disease, for those of you that are surfing web sites on this topic), but this is certainly much better than the alternative (aka "distant metastasis").

Now that we know FOR SURE what her stage is, the doctor has recommended several treatment options and Maija (and Al) have selected the most aggressive option available (yea, okay, you're right...I also added my opinion to the mix!). In about 10 days, she will begin on a combination of radiation and chemo that will require daily visits to the clinic (some short, some all day). This first stage of her treatment will last 5 1/2 weeks and will probably knock her on her XXXX. Each week will become progressively more challenging to tolerate. Having said that, the doctor assures all of us that she can handle it and we KNOW that to be true. Also, different people react differently, so lets hope she can take this as she has everything else so far (i.e. amazingly in her stride!).

Once that 5 1/2 week regime is complete, she will have a month to "rest" and recover. The doctor will then reassess her situation and prescribe the next steps in her treatment. Those next steps will PROBABLY involve more traditional chemo (2-3 doctor visits per month).

You might be wondering why her treatments won't start for another 1-2 weeks (I certainly was! Let's get this battle going!!). The oncology radiation team needs with work with Maija over several appointments to design her personal radiation plan. Dr. Picozzi said it is a little like fitting a dress: it takes multiple appointments to get the tailoring just right.

Okay, that's all for now. Watch the blog for further updates as we kick off the treatments. And Maija has learned more about the organization "PanCan". In fact, the director will be in town soon and Dr. Picozzi is going to arrange a personal meeting for Maija and her "team". Be prepared and hang on to your wallets....Maija has a new mission!!

7 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well I'll use this WONDERFUL NEWS as an opportunity to take my turn at "blogging".
    (-:
    Maija you are an inspiration to us all! When you think about the quote "Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it", you are the role model!!! Keep surrounding yourself with everything that makes you happy, and know how much love, friendship, and positive thoughts are coming your way. Jeff and I were also in Roche Harbor, but it sounds like it was the weekend after you. We spent a week in the San Juans and ended there on the 24th through the 27th of August. Congratulations on your SUCCESS with the walk! A toast to you! Now I just need to get my matching gift in...
    I hope we can get a chance to "sit" on the boat again soon and have some more laughs!
    ~Connie

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,

    Well news does not travel as fast in the bank as it used to! I am just finding your blog; how wonderful to have this format to stay in touch with friends and family. What a great day to find this blog for the first time with just spetacular news!!

    I could not believe the 3 day walk stories-you rock!! Sniglet is a real cutie-does she play tennis and ski? I adore and respect you greatly, the power of positive thinking is on your side my friend!!

    Love Ya Claudia E

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the update and some good news!
    Since we rarely have the opportunity to encourage anyone to "gain weight" I wanted to mention that when Renee Zellwegger needed to gain weight for the Bridget Jones movies, she added more calories to her diet by eating several times a day and including things like Frappachinos and the Breve drinks and even supplemental drinks like "Ensure". I know that Maija loves potato chips and those little bags several times a day will help. For those of us who never had a problem gaining weight, bigger portions and dessert have always been a sure thing to add a few pounds. "Keep filling the tank with fuel" and enjoy - and keep the good news coming.

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the happy post, mom!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija:

    All the Old Guys in my Wednesday AM Bible Study are still praying for you. Looks like it's working! Be sure to take your soapbox with you when you meet with the PanCan group. Linda say's "Hi!"

    W.E.

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Maija,

    I love your blog! What a great idea! I wish I had thought of this!

    I just heard over the weekend about your situation and I sought to find out more info and see how you are doing. I am so relieved to read about the latest findings that your cancer has not spread!!!! What great news! I am so glad to hear it! I'm sorry I didn't hear about your retirement until it was to late and now I just learned about this latest journey you are on.

    I have no doubt you will come through stronger and better than ever. You are one of the most amazing women I have ever met. I wish I had stayed in closer contact when I left WA! Things just got so crazy here in CA.

    I believe my move to CA was meant to be. So many things fell into place. And they continue to do so every day!

    I also want to thank you so much for doing the 3 day walk! The walk in my area is on 9/24 but I will be out of town. I am especially grateful because I to have been recently diagnosed with cancer. Early stage breast (DCIS)cancer to be exactly. (What better time to be near my family) I found out about 3 weeks ago. They did a sugical biopsy on 8/23 and got it all out. I will be starting radiation therapy in early October. 5 weeks, 5 days a week is what my oncologist said and then probably Tamoxifen for 5 years, but I will know more later. Needless to say I am out on short term disability for now but when I am working I am still a PB here in the bay area. Which of course I owe to you! I also met the man of my dreams!!! His name is Jay and he has been absolutely wonderful. I am really lucky to have him! I met him in my banking center one day. Its a funny story! I will have to tell you the story one day!

    I am sure the next few months will be some the hardest but I believe you will beat this and go on to make people more aware of this kind of cancer! You are a light Maija! A Beacon!!! Not only in this but in every day life. Its just who you are and I am so lucky to know you!!

    I am trying to wrap this bul...and I know how hard it is to be in touch with everyone...I am facing the same thing with my situation. But I am going to send you my info any way. If you have a moment I would love to hear from you and I would love to send you a card.

    Take care.

    Love,

    Joy Mack
    Joy0191@hotmail.com
    (510) 461-9301

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Maija,
    Maija, you looked lovely, fit and tanned on Monday on the tennis court. Great to see you and know that you are just up to your usual fun and "games".
    Suzanne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home