Sun Valley Winter Adventures
Life is good here in Sun Valley. We don't miss the gray drizzle of Seattle, so this is a nice place to spend several winter weeks. The weather here has been warmer than usual, causing some unfortunate fog on the hill some days. We've also experienced some days with high winds, which we don't remember from past ski seasons. But, it's all okay. Yesterday we showshoed for about an hour, to and from the historic Trail Creek Cabin (built in the 1930's) for lunch. It just couldn't be any quainter, with its rustic log style. Lunch was very inexpensive because Wednesdays are half price days for ladies. Al was delighted with the total lunch bill of $9.00, not including the tip. As we tromped back we could look up towards the mountain, that is IF we could have seen it, and we knew we made the right decision not to downhill ski. Pea soup on the hill.
On Monday we cross country skied (classical style) for the first time in over twenty years! That was funny. We rented equipment from Elephant's Perch, and also received excellent guidance from the associate there, on where to go. She recommended Prairie Creek because the trail had been just groomed. Prairie Creek is about 20 minutes to the north of Ketchum, and feels much more like the wilderness. It was beautiful out there. I'm not so sure our style was "beautiful", however. Man, those skis are skinny, after being so accustomed to downhill skis, and they have NO edges. That's all well and fine in the tracks, until one starts to head downhill. Even a slight pitch sent me squealing. We did get a tad bit better as the afternoon wore on. Now I have various sore body parts, from the combination of the cross country and the snowshoeing. Different muscles are used than in downhill skiing.
Sun Valley is like living in Adult Disneyland. It's beautiful, there is so much to do, and lots of time spent with the various friends who come in and out of town. Most evenings we have activities planned with a group. It's a small town atmosphere, which we enjoy. Here's a perfect example. I found an area rug, for the entry way, at Espinoza's Flooring, but I needed to try it out to make sure the door's weather stripping would clear the rug. Bea Espinoza, the owner, willingly let me take it home, to try it out. I asked her if she'd like my name, or a credit card imprint. She said, "No honey, I know you'll be back." Now, isn't that just delightful? By the way, the rug worked, and I love it. It's wool, and was handcrafted by native people in Mexico. No doubt I could find something like it for a quarter of the price on a beach in Mexico, but that's okay. I was happy to give the business to Espinoza's.
On the trails people always say "hello", and if you're ever standing around anywhere (e.g. a bus stop), you naturally end up having conversations with the other people. It's just very nice.
One of the local sporting goods stores, Paul Kenny Sports, was having a promotion a couple of weeks ago. They invited folks to come in and shave their heads, so they could sprinkle the hair in the bowls up on the mountain, as an offering to the ski gods (for snow!). They were giving men some kind of nominal reward for this, but said that women would get a Scott hooded jacket if they'd be willing to shave their head. Hmmm, I thought, I wonder if it would count if I let them shave my peach fuzz!! I'm pretty sure I would have been the only girl to show up. Well, my busy social schedule kept me from going over there, but it was fun to laugh about it anyway.
Here's my latest scheme. The hair that is growing out, on my head, feels like velvet. I don't think it's as thick as normal hair, so it will be concealed under hats or wigs for months to come. But, I thought, why not have some real FUN with it. When it grows out a bit more, I'm going to dye it PURPLE for PanCAN. Can't wait! Anyone have info on the dying process?? By the way, there is no truth to the rumors that Britney Spears shaved her head in support of ME! As I've mentioned before, we are not close personal friends.
Eyebrow Update: You never really know for sure what will fall out, and what won't. Here's what I'm noticing in the eyebrow department. The brow hairs seem to fall out in their normal slow cycle (whereas the head hairs shedded worse than Sniglet sheds in the spring), and they simply aren't coming back in. Bottom line, I am guessing I'll be browless before long. Wig #1 covers that area pretty well. Wig #2 could use a wash-job, so I've been wearing Wig #1 this week. I'm sort of scared to wash the wig, but I know I need to! Jani at Hair Options did tell me that the first time I wash it, I will think it's ruined, but not to worry; it will dry and be back to normal.
Al and I saw "Notes on a Scandal". Judy Dench certainly delivers an academy award worthy performance as a sinister, manipulative individual. It's a disturbing film, and wore us out. Very intense. Al didn't know much about it before we went, and thought we were going to a chick-flick..... was he ever surprised!
On the health report, I am feeling 100% normal. Eating everything, able to enjoy wine again, and am grateful to have full energy. I don't know why I'm so lucky. I am in communication with a number of new friends I've made, other pancreatic patients. Some cannot taste food, others have pain, and commonly feel a lack of energy (or some nausea) following treatments. Like I said, I'm fortunate, and I don't take that for granted.
I'm rounding out the "top ten advantages of baldness" (see earlier post, from last month):
- Rings don't get gummed up with hairspray and thickening products.
- If you don't feel like cooking, just say you're afraid your hair will melt if you get too close to the oven.
- No "hat hair" (or "helmet hair") to fluff for apres ski. I just put on a wig and I'm set for the evening's activities.
- During a particularly intense hot flash, you can whip your hair (or hat) off for instant relief. I did this on the snowshoe trail yesterday. It felt good!
Al coined a new phrase when we're in the ski lodge. I wear one of my cute hats in the lodge, and then I need to change in/out of my ski helmet. To do this expediently, I slip into a usually empty adjoining room, and do my quick change. Al calls it my Clark Kent phone booth. The phone booth terminology has stuck with our friends. Where's Maija? Oh, she's in the phone booth.
On Monday we cross country skied (classical style) for the first time in over twenty years! That was funny. We rented equipment from Elephant's Perch, and also received excellent guidance from the associate there, on where to go. She recommended Prairie Creek because the trail had been just groomed. Prairie Creek is about 20 minutes to the north of Ketchum, and feels much more like the wilderness. It was beautiful out there. I'm not so sure our style was "beautiful", however. Man, those skis are skinny, after being so accustomed to downhill skis, and they have NO edges. That's all well and fine in the tracks, until one starts to head downhill. Even a slight pitch sent me squealing. We did get a tad bit better as the afternoon wore on. Now I have various sore body parts, from the combination of the cross country and the snowshoeing. Different muscles are used than in downhill skiing.
Sun Valley is like living in Adult Disneyland. It's beautiful, there is so much to do, and lots of time spent with the various friends who come in and out of town. Most evenings we have activities planned with a group. It's a small town atmosphere, which we enjoy. Here's a perfect example. I found an area rug, for the entry way, at Espinoza's Flooring, but I needed to try it out to make sure the door's weather stripping would clear the rug. Bea Espinoza, the owner, willingly let me take it home, to try it out. I asked her if she'd like my name, or a credit card imprint. She said, "No honey, I know you'll be back." Now, isn't that just delightful? By the way, the rug worked, and I love it. It's wool, and was handcrafted by native people in Mexico. No doubt I could find something like it for a quarter of the price on a beach in Mexico, but that's okay. I was happy to give the business to Espinoza's.
On the trails people always say "hello", and if you're ever standing around anywhere (e.g. a bus stop), you naturally end up having conversations with the other people. It's just very nice.
One of the local sporting goods stores, Paul Kenny Sports, was having a promotion a couple of weeks ago. They invited folks to come in and shave their heads, so they could sprinkle the hair in the bowls up on the mountain, as an offering to the ski gods (for snow!). They were giving men some kind of nominal reward for this, but said that women would get a Scott hooded jacket if they'd be willing to shave their head. Hmmm, I thought, I wonder if it would count if I let them shave my peach fuzz!! I'm pretty sure I would have been the only girl to show up. Well, my busy social schedule kept me from going over there, but it was fun to laugh about it anyway.
Here's my latest scheme. The hair that is growing out, on my head, feels like velvet. I don't think it's as thick as normal hair, so it will be concealed under hats or wigs for months to come. But, I thought, why not have some real FUN with it. When it grows out a bit more, I'm going to dye it PURPLE for PanCAN. Can't wait! Anyone have info on the dying process?? By the way, there is no truth to the rumors that Britney Spears shaved her head in support of ME! As I've mentioned before, we are not close personal friends.
Eyebrow Update: You never really know for sure what will fall out, and what won't. Here's what I'm noticing in the eyebrow department. The brow hairs seem to fall out in their normal slow cycle (whereas the head hairs shedded worse than Sniglet sheds in the spring), and they simply aren't coming back in. Bottom line, I am guessing I'll be browless before long. Wig #1 covers that area pretty well. Wig #2 could use a wash-job, so I've been wearing Wig #1 this week. I'm sort of scared to wash the wig, but I know I need to! Jani at Hair Options did tell me that the first time I wash it, I will think it's ruined, but not to worry; it will dry and be back to normal.
Al and I saw "Notes on a Scandal". Judy Dench certainly delivers an academy award worthy performance as a sinister, manipulative individual. It's a disturbing film, and wore us out. Very intense. Al didn't know much about it before we went, and thought we were going to a chick-flick..... was he ever surprised!
On the health report, I am feeling 100% normal. Eating everything, able to enjoy wine again, and am grateful to have full energy. I don't know why I'm so lucky. I am in communication with a number of new friends I've made, other pancreatic patients. Some cannot taste food, others have pain, and commonly feel a lack of energy (or some nausea) following treatments. Like I said, I'm fortunate, and I don't take that for granted.
I'm rounding out the "top ten advantages of baldness" (see earlier post, from last month):
- Rings don't get gummed up with hairspray and thickening products.
- If you don't feel like cooking, just say you're afraid your hair will melt if you get too close to the oven.
- No "hat hair" (or "helmet hair") to fluff for apres ski. I just put on a wig and I'm set for the evening's activities.
- During a particularly intense hot flash, you can whip your hair (or hat) off for instant relief. I did this on the snowshoe trail yesterday. It felt good!
Al coined a new phrase when we're in the ski lodge. I wear one of my cute hats in the lodge, and then I need to change in/out of my ski helmet. To do this expediently, I slip into a usually empty adjoining room, and do my quick change. Al calls it my Clark Kent phone booth. The phone booth terminology has stuck with our friends. Where's Maija? Oh, she's in the phone booth.


2 Comments:
At 10:06 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hey MAIJA, I think you are so cool. I can't wait to see you!!!! I miss you very much! I think you will look great with purple hair!!! It is very exciting. I can't wait to read more. From your best little friend, KAIJA!!!
At 6:20 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey Maija,
Sorry so out of touch but it's actually a perfect time for me to drop by your blogosphere since you are discussing cross-country skiing!
Glad to hear you are finally coming over to REAL skiing. HAHA
I've never downhilled in my life (not averse, really, just not that attracted) but I have spent what must be equivalent to five years on X-country skis...used to spend two winter weeks in Door County, WI, every year growing up and was on them morning, noon and night.
I used to wear wool pants and socks and sweaters LOL No hi-tech stuff back then that i was aware of.
Your passage about the hills cracked me up. All us kids thought we were so cool, taking little hills and such, and then one day we were skiing on a golf course and came upon a huge hill.
Me, being the oldest guy (all of 8) said I would do it and I knew I had made a terrible mistake about 5 seconds later. It was sheer force of will that I did not fall on the way down but once at the bottom of the hill I wiped out bigtime.
Of course, the next person to do it was a girl and she finished with one of those amazing braking arcs they pull off after an Olympic run LOL
Anyway, it's good you are eating everything because you need to eat everything when you X-country. It's a workout!
Enjoy Sun Valley and take care. The news I'm reading here is great :-) Come up to 33 and visit sometime soon!
TBR
Post a Comment
<< Home