Closing out 2006....Cheers!
I'm back!! Yes, yes, I've gotten plenty of feedback that I've been lax about updating. A true statement, indeed. There really hasn't been much of interest to report, medically speaking. December has been spent playing and enjoying the holidays. I only had to "go to work" (to the clinic for Gem-Tax chemo treatments) twice, on the 13th and 20th. This week I am "off". Next work day is January 3rd.
The Gem-Tax treatment session lasts about 3 1/2 hours. Oncology has been very busy this month (a Christmas rush??). First I have blood tests. I am somewhat anemic, but rather oblivious to it. Dr. P asks me if I feel at all fatigued. No, not really. Other than that the blood tests have been fine, and we proceed with the Gem-Tax infusion (via I.V.), which takes about 90 minutes. The nurses give me a cocktail of three anti-nausea drugs and I conck out about 20 minutes later, and routinely take a little nap (Al says for about 20 minutes, like clockwork). After that we watch T.V. or read magazine, chat it up with the nurses.
During the first session the nurses were strongly advocating installation of a port for the infusions. It's a device which is surgically placed in the upper chest area, about the size of a half dollar, under the skin. Dr. P said "let's wait". Al and I (with interpretation from friends who are nurses) decided that the nurses like to have this because it's easier for them.... they don't have to locate the vein each time. I decided they can find the vein, unless that gets old at some point. So far it has not been a problem.
The Gem-Tax side effects have been minimal. Thank goodness, during the holiday season who has time for side effects! Only tolerable diarreah. It was worst on Christmas Eve Day, but I persevered because there was much to be done, since my dad and aunt and uncle were coming over (and spending the night, for our annual slumber party).
I do have a good story about my diarreah, though. We are now at Mt. Baker, skiing (four days in a row through today, nine for the season so far). On Wednesday morning, I took an Imodium, and packed some in my parka, "just in case" I needed more later in the day. Goodness, that pill made me sleepy. I snoozed on the ride up to the ski area (1/2 hour), and was sound asleep when we pulled into the parking lot. Not feeling very energetic all morning, and at lunch I just felt like putting my mittens on the table and laying my head down on them. After lunch, Tana and I yakked for an hour before we ventured back out. Usually, we down our food, and immediately head back to the slopes. At the end of the day, I asked my brother-in-law, Gary, to sit in the front seat with Al because I might be inclined to take a nap on the way back. Well, to make a long story short, that night we discovered that I had taken one of Al's sleep aids, NOT Imodium!! It's amazing I did as well as I did, and especially lucky that I didn't have reason to take a second pill in the course of the day! I have visions of being carted to the Ski Patrol aid station, and no one being able to figure out why this person is so lethargic for no apparent reason.
Fun times preceeding Christmas -- Christmas ships at the Sterkens', sugar cookie decorating at the home of one of Ann M's friends (this was really up my alley!), Marie's retirement luncheon and reception (so GOOD to see so many former colleagues and to celebrate Marie's impressive career), dinners with friends. Oh, and I finally played tennis again in December!
The Christmas holidays were wonderful for us. More relaxing than ever. I really think the calming, meditative skills I picked up during the 5 1/2 week intense treatment helped me relax, and keep things in perspective. For example, I didn't feel compelled to display every single decoration I own. We never did get the outdoor lights up, and it didn't matter. That would have really bugged me in the past. We had a fun Christmas Eve, followed by more family merriment with the Eerkes side (at Al's sister's home) on Christmas Day. Especially fun watching the little kids, and this year we added a White Elephant gift exchange, which was a giggle. In our usual tradition, we continue the festivites at our Snowater condo, and exchange a mountain of gifts with Gary and Tana, & Gary and Janet.
The Mixes are also here now. Tomorrow night Terry and Annie are preparing their famous stuffed duck feast for New Year's Eve (with orange sauce). Ann's dressing recipe is undeniably the best on the planet, with her perfect gravy. We had a trial run a couple of weeks ago. I ate so much (I should say overate shamelessly), that night I dreamed I was pregnant and gave birth to a furry rodent. That's what can happen when one eats too much.
I am feeling well, not like a sick person at all. The hair is thinner. Before our apres ski events I tell everyone I must go fluff my two hairs. It doesn't take long. It's probably good that it dwindles slowly, over time. I'm getting used to the idea of being a baldy in the weeks to come. Before that I need to get some additional trimming on the wig (which you can see on a posting from a couple of months ago). I was modeling it on Christmas Eve and discovered that when I bend my head down, it annoys me the way some of the strands fall in my face.... or, it could be that I haven't had longish hair for so many years.
I'm going to attempt to post now. I hope it works. (Attempt #2, it didn't work yesterday.) In our remote mountain site, the connections are sometimes dubious, especially with dial-up access.
Happy New Year wishes to all! May 2007 bring you joy, love, fulfillment and good health. Remember, the stuff you are stressing about, for the most part, really is not important. And, that is doubly true with regards to the work issues many of you are so embroiled in. Easy for me to say, huh (I have literary license to pontificate, since this is my blog)? When you are on your death bed, you will never wish you had worked more hours, or more years.
Cheers to 2007!! Here's to fun new adventures on life's road!
The Gem-Tax treatment session lasts about 3 1/2 hours. Oncology has been very busy this month (a Christmas rush??). First I have blood tests. I am somewhat anemic, but rather oblivious to it. Dr. P asks me if I feel at all fatigued. No, not really. Other than that the blood tests have been fine, and we proceed with the Gem-Tax infusion (via I.V.), which takes about 90 minutes. The nurses give me a cocktail of three anti-nausea drugs and I conck out about 20 minutes later, and routinely take a little nap (Al says for about 20 minutes, like clockwork). After that we watch T.V. or read magazine, chat it up with the nurses.
During the first session the nurses were strongly advocating installation of a port for the infusions. It's a device which is surgically placed in the upper chest area, about the size of a half dollar, under the skin. Dr. P said "let's wait". Al and I (with interpretation from friends who are nurses) decided that the nurses like to have this because it's easier for them.... they don't have to locate the vein each time. I decided they can find the vein, unless that gets old at some point. So far it has not been a problem.
The Gem-Tax side effects have been minimal. Thank goodness, during the holiday season who has time for side effects! Only tolerable diarreah. It was worst on Christmas Eve Day, but I persevered because there was much to be done, since my dad and aunt and uncle were coming over (and spending the night, for our annual slumber party).
I do have a good story about my diarreah, though. We are now at Mt. Baker, skiing (four days in a row through today, nine for the season so far). On Wednesday morning, I took an Imodium, and packed some in my parka, "just in case" I needed more later in the day. Goodness, that pill made me sleepy. I snoozed on the ride up to the ski area (1/2 hour), and was sound asleep when we pulled into the parking lot. Not feeling very energetic all morning, and at lunch I just felt like putting my mittens on the table and laying my head down on them. After lunch, Tana and I yakked for an hour before we ventured back out. Usually, we down our food, and immediately head back to the slopes. At the end of the day, I asked my brother-in-law, Gary, to sit in the front seat with Al because I might be inclined to take a nap on the way back. Well, to make a long story short, that night we discovered that I had taken one of Al's sleep aids, NOT Imodium!! It's amazing I did as well as I did, and especially lucky that I didn't have reason to take a second pill in the course of the day! I have visions of being carted to the Ski Patrol aid station, and no one being able to figure out why this person is so lethargic for no apparent reason.
Fun times preceeding Christmas -- Christmas ships at the Sterkens', sugar cookie decorating at the home of one of Ann M's friends (this was really up my alley!), Marie's retirement luncheon and reception (so GOOD to see so many former colleagues and to celebrate Marie's impressive career), dinners with friends. Oh, and I finally played tennis again in December!
The Christmas holidays were wonderful for us. More relaxing than ever. I really think the calming, meditative skills I picked up during the 5 1/2 week intense treatment helped me relax, and keep things in perspective. For example, I didn't feel compelled to display every single decoration I own. We never did get the outdoor lights up, and it didn't matter. That would have really bugged me in the past. We had a fun Christmas Eve, followed by more family merriment with the Eerkes side (at Al's sister's home) on Christmas Day. Especially fun watching the little kids, and this year we added a White Elephant gift exchange, which was a giggle. In our usual tradition, we continue the festivites at our Snowater condo, and exchange a mountain of gifts with Gary and Tana, & Gary and Janet.
The Mixes are also here now. Tomorrow night Terry and Annie are preparing their famous stuffed duck feast for New Year's Eve (with orange sauce). Ann's dressing recipe is undeniably the best on the planet, with her perfect gravy. We had a trial run a couple of weeks ago. I ate so much (I should say overate shamelessly), that night I dreamed I was pregnant and gave birth to a furry rodent. That's what can happen when one eats too much.
I am feeling well, not like a sick person at all. The hair is thinner. Before our apres ski events I tell everyone I must go fluff my two hairs. It doesn't take long. It's probably good that it dwindles slowly, over time. I'm getting used to the idea of being a baldy in the weeks to come. Before that I need to get some additional trimming on the wig (which you can see on a posting from a couple of months ago). I was modeling it on Christmas Eve and discovered that when I bend my head down, it annoys me the way some of the strands fall in my face.... or, it could be that I haven't had longish hair for so many years.
I'm going to attempt to post now. I hope it works. (Attempt #2, it didn't work yesterday.) In our remote mountain site, the connections are sometimes dubious, especially with dial-up access.
Happy New Year wishes to all! May 2007 bring you joy, love, fulfillment and good health. Remember, the stuff you are stressing about, for the most part, really is not important. And, that is doubly true with regards to the work issues many of you are so embroiled in. Easy for me to say, huh (I have literary license to pontificate, since this is my blog)? When you are on your death bed, you will never wish you had worked more hours, or more years.
Cheers to 2007!! Here's to fun new adventures on life's road!


9 Comments:
At 4:40 PM,
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year's Maija & Al!!!
Cheers!
Joy M.
At 6:52 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Maija,
I have been checking in and am glad to see your latest post as was getting worried! Sending you and yours the very best wishes for a wonderful and healthy New Year.
Hugs,
Donna B.
At 7:26 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey Maija,
Great ski day last week, hu? YOu look fabulous!
This is a test, since the last one I send went Kaboom!
John and I are with you every day.
Hugs,
Teresa
At 7:27 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey Maija,
WE are so happy to hear your very good news!! Wasn't last week a hoot?! I hear you "all" are leaving for Sun Valley--try to find better snow there!!
John and I are with you all the way, every day.
Hugs to you and Al.
Teresa
At 8:25 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Maija, Happy New Year!!!!! It was great to see your blog I pull it up once a week and was getting worried about you. Glad all is well enjoy your skiing trip all of us on Rainier Premier are working hard to keep the stock price up !!! Ha Ha Julia
At 5:17 PM,
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year Maija and Al!
I LOL'd at your Immodiam, sleeping pill story! (for those of you w/out texting teenagers..that means laughed out loud!) ha. Thanks for your continued sharing and perspective on life. It's very much appreciated!
Cheers!
Sarah L.
At 7:38 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Maija and Al too, So happy to hear from you and your update. You are on our minds and in our prayers. Ernie will be returning to Washington on the 25th and Jan on the 29th. I hope the weather gets better it sounds terrible. I won't even tell you about the weather in Phoenix. Love you Ernie and Jan
At 10:31 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hello Maija, Thank you so much for your time and effort in updating us. I think of you often. Thanks for the important reminder on your last update. My hubby, Joe, is always trying to remind me of what is most important when the bank starts to rank near number one. Cheers beautiful lady!
Eliz M.
At 3:52 PM,
Sheila M. said…
Hi Maija,
I think of you often and have finally gotten ahold of your Blog. Shelly, Mae and I were talking about you and sharing old times and hoping you are well. Sounds like things are going great!
Thanks for the reminder about what's really important.
Happy New year and to a FUN 2007!!!
Sheila
Post a Comment
<< Home