Sniglet's Mom

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Vibrant Guatemala Becons us to Return!

Wow! Guatemala (which means "Land of the Old Trees" -- as in rainforest) far exceeded our expectations, not that we knew what to expect. The landscape, the Mayan culture, bright colors, cleanliness, and the work ethic as the people struggle towards a brighter future in their developing country. Guatemala is a democracy, and prides itself for the good relationship with the U.S., Europe, Latin America, and other trade partners. Tourism is becoming increasingly important, and its people appreciate the importance of this industry. They are so friendly, smiley, and focused on providing a safe environment, while sharing their history and culture.

It is a country of volcanoes, which are ACTIVE! We were fortunate to see two of them blowing steam and the larger one even spewing lava down the mountainside. That particular volcano erupts about once a month, so what a treat to see it in action, as we drove along the very well maintained highway to the colonial city of Antigua. I was fascinated with the volcanoes. The people are not concerned about the erruptions because they fertilize the farmlands. They also don't seem overly concerned about the massive earthquakes, which take place approximately every 50 years. According to that calculation, the next would be due in another 20 years. We visited a cathedral and convent, both of which have been very heavily damaged by past earthquakes. The volcanoes are Acatenango (4,000 m), Agua (3,850 m), Fuego (3,750 m) and Pacaya (2,500 m).

Once again Jan and Al arranged for a mini van, which could accomodate all eight of us very comfortably. Our guide for the day was Marco Esteban Quintanilla, with his driver, Eddie. When Marco "Steve" isn't a tour guide, his craft is creating jewelry and sculptures from Guatemalan jade. We didn't see his work because he didn't carry any with him. I told him he should have some on the tour because his passengers would be good prospects for sales. He liked that idea. The finer quality pieces are for sale in the Jade Museum, which we visited in Antigua and also at the ship's dock. But the local people are selling (peddling) jade jewelry everywhere. Much of it is quite nice. Yes, of course I bought some. Never miss a purchasing opportunity.

Marco's English was excellent, and he was quite the talker. He knows his history, and he certainly knows the country. He took us to a small village, where we visited a textiles market. The colors were extraordinary. I bought some beautiful woven placemats in earthen tones. Most of the people in the country are of Mayan heritage, either 100% Mayan, or up to 75% Mayan, mixed with a European mish-mash (like Marco). The people love bright colors. The tombstones in the cemetaries are painted in the colors of the rainbow -- yellow, purple, hues of blue reds, orange. Like Jan R. said, it would be a much nicer place to spend eternity than in our cemetaries. As for me, I'd rather be scattered beneath the bend in "Blueberry Road", overlooking my favorite run at Mt. Baker, "Canyon". Marco taught us that the people of the various villages have their distinctive colorful dress and traditions. When we were in Antigua, he could name off which village a person was from by their attire. The men, as well as the women and children, wear their traditional garments on a daily basis. It was very interesting. We were mesmerized by the people, and in return, they seemed to find us rather unique, too. As evidenced by groups of children staring at us, wide eyed and smiling. The children are very well behaved, and consistently happy looking. They were a delight to watch.

The colonial city of Antigua is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. As Marco explained, that means it is a historical site, protected for all of humanity. You can tell the cobblestone streets are very old. I couldn't imagine walking on them in heels. I know I would end up with a sprained ankle at best. We did see young women in spike heels, though, heading to a wedding in the cathedral.

I was intrigued by the mix of Catholicism and the ancient rituals which the Mayans blend in with religion. Witch doctors and Shamans are much the norm in the country. Steve and I went through a round of medical "treatment", under Marco's direction. In the ruins of the convent we came across the Chilca tree. When a branch is broken off, it resembles a small palm. Marco taught us the order in which to slap parts of our body to get rid of the evil spirits, and then toss it away over the right shoulder. That was the first ritual. At the cathedral they sell candles in the colors of the rainbow. Light blue is for health. Jan bought a candle, which we would later light. First we passed the empty tomb of Brother Peter. He was cannonized in recent years, so in the Catholic tradition (I'm repeating what we were told because I'm not Catholic, and don't know these things first hand), his remains were then distributed to various cathedrals around the world. The custom now is to knock three times on the wooden front of the tomb, and then light the candle. That's what we did. Steve and I are pretty sure that these techniques will clear us of all evil cancer spirits. I would have loved to have seen the Shamans perform their rituals up in the hills. It's okay for tourists to drive up there and watch, but our time was limited.

Marco chose an elegant restaurant, in the heart of Antigua. It wasn't cheap, but it was lovely with a pool full of rose petals, all kinds of flowering plants in the garden (where we sat), and a delicious meal. Avocados are a major export from Guatemala. Several of us started off with a terrific appetizer of avocado and shrimp. Al tried the black bean soup (black beans are a staple), which was also very good, with added bacon bits and cream. Each couple then enjoyed a huge platter of traditional foods including chicken, steak with pico de gallo sauce, plantains, beans, polenta (Janet really liked the polenta; I can take or leave it). We rolled out of there very full, and then stopped at another place for afternoon coffee. Like Costa Rica, Guatemala prides itself in the quality of its coffee.

Mayan ladies who live by Lake Atitlan are known for the beads they string into jewelry. We visited a shop where the owners taked the beads and designs to the women, and they create the beautiful pieces. The prices were excellent.

Today at noon we will leave the ship for Huatulco, Mexico, and spend the afternoon at one of the beaches. Apparently the Mexican government is working towards having Huatulco become something like Cancun, a destination resort area. I will have to sign off now because the group is meeting in the ship's pizza parlor, for lunch before we go ashore. As you know, I don't like to miss a meal!

A couple of words of thanks to Cheri B. and Diane T. I sure have gotten good use out of the ballcaps you two gave me. The one from Cheri was a gift when I finished the 3-Day walk. Love those rhinestones on pink. Diane brought one from the Wailea Tennis Club a few years back. Both have come in very handy because I don't dare go out in the hot sun without head covering. My hair is definitely on the thin side on top. Kathi A. and Jo-Ann K., I followed your advice and am taking the Biotin supplement for hair growth. I'll let you know how the science project goes. I haven't felt compelled to wear my wig yet.

The eight of us have just booked a cruise to ASIA for next October. 16 days from Bangkok to Beijing, including Singapore, two stops in Vietnam, three stops in China, and a port day in Nagasaki, as well as in South Korea. Exotic! This will be aboard the Pacific Princess. Another great adventure to look forward to.

Pizza time.... I'm sure I'll be in trouble for being late. Please excuse any typos. I don't have time to proof-read.

And, then it's off to the beach. The waters are very calm now, but earlier this morning we had 50 mph winds. It was rockin' in bed this morning.

Ciao!

6 Comments:

  • At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so jealous that you are basking in the sun, up here in Whatcom County, we are covered in 8-10 inches of snow, its blowing and beautiful, but COLD! Keep up the great news, and be Blessed you are with friends, enjoying great views and company. Stay safe and have a Margarita for me!

    Beth K

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your blog is like reading a travel brochure. only better. Guatemala sounds wonderful, and you make it become alive.

    We encourage everyone to email your senators and Congress on the PanCan site. As Maija said, it is very easy.

    JoAnne & Vern

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Once again it's snowing like crazy here in Woodinville, enjoy that beautiful weather!

    I hope you brought along a big extra suitcase, it sounds like the shopping has been one of the highlights for you!

    And yes, PanCan makes the email messaging process so easy, just 30 seconds and your voice is heard!!

    Enjoy the rest of your trip!! We'll see you during the holidays!

    Jeri

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the colorful updates - it helps to make your port stops visual. This cruise must make you close to free dry cleaning. It seems so odd to hear about you all taking in the sun when we have snow on the ground in November. I heard that Mt Baker has the most snow in the country at the moment!We responded to the PanCan site as well but no reply as of yet. Enjoy your trip and glad to hear that the food and beverages are a postive as it sounds like the shopping is on the plus side as well. We have been looking for the perfect photo for a Christmas card but as you know all of ours(mine) are weird if they exist at all - sunglasses are my only resort to a possible photo without closed eyes. Anxious to see which one you choose for yours. Hi to all. JK&JK

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for these wonderful updates, Maija. It's so great to hear that you are having such a wonderful time and spending lots of time in exotic ports. I, too, have easily emailed Senate and Congress for PanCan. Let's continue making a difference! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

    Karyn F.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Maija, Glad to hear you are having such a wonderful time. I could use some of that warm sunshine right about now. Snowy and cold here in the Northwest. I sent in the PamCan e-mail awhile back and also received the e-mail back. I also did my United Way to Pancreatic Research so with all of us pulling together with you as our fearless leader we will make a difference. Have a blast Julia M

     

Post a Comment

<< Home