Sniglet's Mom

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Walking with Purpose

Thursday October 25th is a sea day, as we sail from Hong Kong to Keelung, Taiwan. Sea days are generally spent lounging by the pool, people watching, reading, andmaybe participating in some of the many and varied activities offered by the Cruise Director and her staff. There is never a lack of things to do. On a lengthy cruise, such as this one (16 days) the sea days are a much needed respite between ports. We have been fortunated because the weather has continued to be warm and sunny, so we can enjoy the outdoors.

The special, worthwhile activity on this day was the 5K non-competitive walk around the ship's jogging track (30 times around, to be exact). Tied to the Susan G. Comen Foundation's work towards a cure for breast cancer, it was called "On Deck for the Cure". A minimum donation of $15 was all it took to participate, and receive a commemorative ball cap.

Jan E., Jan R. Steve, Gary & Janet & I all walked, in honor of, and in memory of, friends and family who have dealt with breast cancer. We had an opportunity to post their names on a designated board. Here's to you, Annie and Elizabeth, who are currently dealing with the disease!

You might recall, I mentioned it was "non-competitive". Well, that didn't really work for Gary nor me. We had to be at the head of the pack. Gary's excuse was that he wanted to wrap it up so he could go back to his stateroom to watch the World Series. I ended up walking at a fast pace with Jeannie from New York. I enjoyed walking with her because she also ran in spurts, and I was able get a good workout and keep my heart rate up. Jeannie and I chatted about the ports and some politics (she feels Rudy G. has a rather large ego.... but don't they all??). It really is nice to meet other passengers, and when you travel with your own large group, that doesn't come as easily.

Janet and Jan E. have been devoted to their afternoon Pilates class on sea days. You go girls! I can't do that because I must blog. I have been appointed as the one that must capture the essence of each day. What pressure! Especially because we have to buy a package of internet minutes, and one watches the clock tick during the connection. It's almost as stressful as working!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home