Seattle Summer Sequel
We've been home from Sun Valley for two weeks now, returning for my CT scan on July 17th. Dr. Picozzi was pleased because he still cannot see the tumor and the "mass" has shrunk some more. He doesn't seem positive about what that mass is, but believes it's likely scar tissue from last fall's radiation. On that same day we started the fourth round of GemTax chemo. We're now following a regimen of every other week, so that my body has a chance to rebuild the white blood cells in between treatments. I'm happy with the every other week schedule; it offers more flexibility to have fun and plan trips. My next chemo treatment is tomorrow. Followed by a TG afternoon on Sandy's dock on Lake Washington (in honor of Diane's birthday) and the Banker Girls' first Book Club meeting in the evening. I'll take the Barnes and Noble "Questions for Group Discussion" to chemo, and study them while I'm getting the drip..... that is until I fall asleep for my routine nap.
It rained and rained the week we returned from Sun Valley (meanwhile it continued to be 85 degrees in S.V.). We weren't particularly excited about being back to gray skies. On Friday the 20th we had tickets to the Chateau Ste. Micelle outdoor concert featuring Lyle Lovett and k.d. lang. We prepared ourselves with Gortex jackets, ski pants, and Al bought tarps to cover the ground, as well as our laps. Now we know the drill for a rainy concert, although we were lucky because it stopped raining after k.d. lang's performance. The ski pants saved us from having soaking wet butts. During the rain we were attempting to eat our appetizers, which included salami and cheese on European rye bread. We quickly learned that we had to ditch the bread because it got wet, like a sponge. We all laughed that it's an evening we will remember, much longer than if we'd had beautiful summer weather. It was an adventure and we all (Gary, Janet, Jan, Anna B, Dick and Rebecca) weathered it with aplomb. We were proud of ourselves for being tough, and true to our NW roots.
I may have mentioned in a prior post that I joined "Summer Fit" at the Bellevue Club. Today I turned in my June and July exercise points and collected my prizes thus far -- a dynaband, sports water bottle and a backpack (not that I "needed" any of that stuff, but hey, they are PRIZES). Bethany (the coordinator) said that only three of us have turned in points. Ha, ha.... I guess not that many people are motivated by goals, points and prizes. It sure helps me stay focused, though. I also participated in an Aerobic Capacity Test, administered by Jason at the Club. It measures what your ideal maximum heart rate should be during cardio workouts. Mine should be around 135 for 30 minutes, three times a week, with two minute intervals going up to 145 twice a week. I'm finding it somewhat difficult to get up to those levels. Christin says "just increase the incline on the treadmill". Easy for her to say!
We watched "Akeelah and the Bee". It's definitely a worthwhile movie to see. Suitable for all audiences. In the giggle category we enjoyed Ashton Kutcher in the comedy remake of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". It's cute. The documentary on the Enron Story is also very well done, and thought provoking.
Al's birthday is Wednesday. Happy Birthday, Al! We will escape to Mt. Baker.... escape from the house which is torn up because we are having our southwestern exposure windows replaced. Perched up on our hill we get driving rains, at times, in the winter months. The new Pella windows which will be installed are "hurricane grade", if you can believe that! The others leaked and caused the window sills to buckle. Sniglet doesn't like being relegated to the walk-in closet while the construction crews are here. She finds that highly offensive. She'll be happy to be at Mt. Baker, in peace and quiet. The huge dumpster and the "Honey Bucket" are very attractive, sitting in our driveway. Does that mean we can now claim to have a five bathroom house?
My fingernails are growing and they no longer stink. The nail on the right index finger decided to break off, halfway down, a couple of weeks ago. It just makes it look like I've been aggressively chewing my nails. The irony is that I can't stand it when people chew their nails (I find it gross and disgusting), and I've never ever done so in my life. Al likes to tease me about it, since I nag him when he chews his nails. I don't think any more of them will fall off, but I could be wrong about that.
We're looking forward to Jon and Olivia's wedding, just eleven days away! We'll have to practice a sun-dance to make sure the weather at Rosario cooperates for their outdoor vows. And, yes.... there is that Nicole Miller dress which I bought for the wedding, back in February. I took a deep breath, and tried it on over the weekend. You'll recall that I was still regaining my weight during the winter months. Well, I was able to zip it up, but for some reason, it now reveals more cleavage than I recall back in February. Gee, I wonder why. Might it have something to do with hamburgers, ice cream and my love of potatoes in any and all forms??
It rained and rained the week we returned from Sun Valley (meanwhile it continued to be 85 degrees in S.V.). We weren't particularly excited about being back to gray skies. On Friday the 20th we had tickets to the Chateau Ste. Micelle outdoor concert featuring Lyle Lovett and k.d. lang. We prepared ourselves with Gortex jackets, ski pants, and Al bought tarps to cover the ground, as well as our laps. Now we know the drill for a rainy concert, although we were lucky because it stopped raining after k.d. lang's performance. The ski pants saved us from having soaking wet butts. During the rain we were attempting to eat our appetizers, which included salami and cheese on European rye bread. We quickly learned that we had to ditch the bread because it got wet, like a sponge. We all laughed that it's an evening we will remember, much longer than if we'd had beautiful summer weather. It was an adventure and we all (Gary, Janet, Jan, Anna B, Dick and Rebecca) weathered it with aplomb. We were proud of ourselves for being tough, and true to our NW roots.
I may have mentioned in a prior post that I joined "Summer Fit" at the Bellevue Club. Today I turned in my June and July exercise points and collected my prizes thus far -- a dynaband, sports water bottle and a backpack (not that I "needed" any of that stuff, but hey, they are PRIZES). Bethany (the coordinator) said that only three of us have turned in points. Ha, ha.... I guess not that many people are motivated by goals, points and prizes. It sure helps me stay focused, though. I also participated in an Aerobic Capacity Test, administered by Jason at the Club. It measures what your ideal maximum heart rate should be during cardio workouts. Mine should be around 135 for 30 minutes, three times a week, with two minute intervals going up to 145 twice a week. I'm finding it somewhat difficult to get up to those levels. Christin says "just increase the incline on the treadmill". Easy for her to say!
We watched "Akeelah and the Bee". It's definitely a worthwhile movie to see. Suitable for all audiences. In the giggle category we enjoyed Ashton Kutcher in the comedy remake of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". It's cute. The documentary on the Enron Story is also very well done, and thought provoking.
Al's birthday is Wednesday. Happy Birthday, Al! We will escape to Mt. Baker.... escape from the house which is torn up because we are having our southwestern exposure windows replaced. Perched up on our hill we get driving rains, at times, in the winter months. The new Pella windows which will be installed are "hurricane grade", if you can believe that! The others leaked and caused the window sills to buckle. Sniglet doesn't like being relegated to the walk-in closet while the construction crews are here. She finds that highly offensive. She'll be happy to be at Mt. Baker, in peace and quiet. The huge dumpster and the "Honey Bucket" are very attractive, sitting in our driveway. Does that mean we can now claim to have a five bathroom house?
My fingernails are growing and they no longer stink. The nail on the right index finger decided to break off, halfway down, a couple of weeks ago. It just makes it look like I've been aggressively chewing my nails. The irony is that I can't stand it when people chew their nails (I find it gross and disgusting), and I've never ever done so in my life. Al likes to tease me about it, since I nag him when he chews his nails. I don't think any more of them will fall off, but I could be wrong about that.
We're looking forward to Jon and Olivia's wedding, just eleven days away! We'll have to practice a sun-dance to make sure the weather at Rosario cooperates for their outdoor vows. And, yes.... there is that Nicole Miller dress which I bought for the wedding, back in February. I took a deep breath, and tried it on over the weekend. You'll recall that I was still regaining my weight during the winter months. Well, I was able to zip it up, but for some reason, it now reveals more cleavage than I recall back in February. Gee, I wonder why. Might it have something to do with hamburgers, ice cream and my love of potatoes in any and all forms??


1 Comments:
At 2:29 PM,
Bob McKean said…
Hi Sniglet's Mom,
Glad to hear that things are going well for you. I hear snippets from Kim and others from time to time. I had dinner a few months ago with Walt & Linda who seem to be greatly enjoying their retirement. I'm still in Portland and still banking! We just returned from a couple of weeks in Norway, and had a GREAT time. Keep up the great work :)
Warm regards,
Bob
Post a Comment
<< Home