Sniglet's Mom

Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Return of HAIR!

I've missed my blog! I begin to feel anxious when I haven't posted for a long time. It hasn't been for a lack of action, excitement and new news. I've just been busy. It seems like all of us retired people recite the same chant, "I don't know how I ever had time to work!". But, here I am now, at our Mt. Baker condo, nestled in with a fire. Sniglet is curled up on her kitty condo, and Al is over at the Zipps' condo, watching the Seahawks vs. the Greenbay Packers. Ooooh, I hope the Hawks win, but I just have my doubts....

The main point of this chapter is HAIR! Reminds me of the musical in the era of my youth. Not that I can recall the lyrics, but I did see the live performance sometime in the 70's.

My hair is coming back at full throttle. The public "coming out" took place in the White Salmon Lodge at Mt. Baker in mid-December. We had skied all morning, and came in for lunch. Last season I would always pack a wool cap or ball cap, so that I could do a quick change out of my helmet. In Sun Valley last winter, Al would tease me about going into the Superman phone booth to change (I used the back dining room at River Run, which is most often empty). But, Horrors!! On this day, first day of the ski year, I had forgotten to pack a hat! Now what?? Well, I made the decision that since I was no longer sporting the trendy bald look, I would go ahead and just reveal my hair. And you know what? No one even looked twice. Mind you, this IS East Whatcom county, and pretty much anything goes in terms of garb, accessories, piercings, tatoos (one of the cafeteria workers last year had a brain tatooed on his shaved head), and definitely hair styles (not to mention color -- pink, blue, green).

By the time the New Year's weekend rolled around, it had been 3 1/2 months since the GemTax treatments had ended, and my hair was starting to actually look kind of cute. Wispy on the sides and on top. I'm not thinking the gray part is so cute, however. The back is my natural color. What would you call it? Taupe maybe. In the front there are clusters/streaks of silver (silver sounds more fashionable and dramatic than "gray"). During New Year's weekend at Mt. Baker, among all of our Baker Buddies, I didn't wear any of the "Girls" (Erin, Mandy, Skye, Mattie). I have to admit, as much as I've loved my Girls (the wigs), it was liberating to just be wearing what was coming out of my own scalp. By the way, let's put the myth to rest. I do NOT name the wigs; they all come with names.

Upon returning home, I went on a hunt for all of the hair care products I stored away a year ago. Shampoo, body building spray, defining cream. I don't need conditioner yet.... there isn't enough hair to worry about tangles, and it isn't damaged in any way. Totally natural, unaltered hair.

The next phase took place over the last week, when I looked in the mirror and saw "Man Hair" (think of Seinfeld's "Man Hands"). This was a day when I didn't style it, and seriously, it looked like a guy's head of nice hair, a man style. This isn't good. Back to the wigs, especially sassy Erin (the bob). I popped in to make an appointment at Roberto's Salon to work towards a new look. They seemed delighted to see me again, after my absence (due to no hair) for the past 14 months. I mean, you don't frequent a salon when you don't have hair. Cancer treatment has unintended adverse impacts on the hair styling business.

It comes down to the fact that I've become lazy about having to "do" something with my hair. It's so easy to simply throw on a wig, and go! Yesterday I decided I would give it a whirl, and try to work with this hair, which is as long as 1 1/2" on top. It worked! Cute, perky. One of my radiation technicians (that's another chapter) said it reminds her of Jamie Lee Curtis. I'll have to see what I can uncover about her hair on the web, before my HAIR appointment on Tuesday! I have a HAIR appointment... how fun!

Running neck in neck with the hair is my obsession about my eye lashes. I have actual eye lashes, and they're getting longer all the time! I'm into lash conditioner, followed by meticulous mascara application. I do this every morning, savoring the process. It may seem silly, but we might as well enjoy the seemingly insignificant processes of our daily lives. I enjoy it all -- the delicious bites of "Oh Chocolate" chocolates (from Sarah L.), listening to Snig purr by my head at night, folding Al's T-shirts when they come out of the dryer, driving up to Mt. Baker in traffic. I was contemplating this the other day. I don't think I have ever been happier or more content. Living Contendly with Cancer -- now there's a title. I really do "stop to smell the roses", and am not the least bit bothered by insignificant minutia, which attempts to cloud our daily enjoyment of life. I am truly at peace with life, myself and my surroundings. Sounds kind of New Age, doesn't it? Works for me!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have this wonderful Korean eyelash conditioner I've been using for a year. My lashes are very long and much thicker now. When I get my next order sometime very soon I'm going to bring you by a tube.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home