Sniglet's Mom

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Rockin' and Rollin' on the HIGH Seas

This is definitely a new experience for me! Of course, we expected our 14 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to the Amazon to be full of great new experiences. Maybe not quite like this. We are on the HIGH seas, and I do mean HIGH. We have been bouncing, rocking and rolling for two days and nights. Al has experience with this, from fishing. Not me. I started out yesterday morning by losing my cookies twice. There went the heavenly, flakey croissant, and then the Special K. Let's say it wasn't so special in that form. Two more episodes during the day, and then Al bought Dramamine for me. That stuff really works! I have been well all day today, in spite of having to hold onto things as one tries to walk on the ship.

This afternoon we were laying by the pool, which is in on floor nine of the ship, mid-ship. Can you believe that ocean spray actually came over the bow and sprayed us?? The Royal Princess is a 592' vessel for 710 passengers. It's not as though we are crusing in a little speedboat! Sometimes the ship absolutely pounds over a large wave, like you'd expect in your own boat. Other times it creaks as if we are going through an earthquake.

We left Fort Lauderdale on Monday afternoon, around 5:00, and headed southeast. We have maintained the southeasterly course ever since. Today we passed through the Puerto Rican Trench. Tomorrow we can set foot on St. Barts. I'm sure everyone on board will be happy to be able to stand up, without swaying. We all look like a bunch of drunks, trying to negotiate the corridors and stairways. It's a great way to literally bump into people and make new friends.

Steve's back surgery went well, but we are very sorry not to have Steve and Jan on the cruise. Although, I don't think Jan would like these wild wave conditions, at all! The winds were 35 knots today (40 mph?). It's okay, though. I worked on my tan yesterday, and didn't mind spending most of today indoors. I attended a seminar called "Personal Values and Your Relationship with Yourself", presented by Carol Akright. I enjoyed it, and met a nice couple, Bob and Thelma. They have been married for 63 years, and they were very cute and fun. She is legally blind, but you'd never know it by her attitude. The seminar was about being authentic with yourself. I love that kind of stuff. Al went to work out during this time. I don't feel that I can work out until the seas settle down. Yesterday one of my up-chucks came in the work out room. Fortunately, we were the only two who were dumb enough to be in there! And, they had conveniently placed barf bags in the gym. How thoughtful. I have never used one of those prior to yesterday. They work. I don't know what they are made of, but they don't leak. Thank goodness.

So, here is one of the things I learned today, in Carol's seminar. If you are to be a trustworthy person, you must demonstrate the following:

- Show up on time
- Speak the truth
- Keep your word
- Say please and thank you

Hmmm, I think I most need to work on showing up on time. I will have that be my take-away from the seminar. You know how these seminars have sort of a standard set of questions. Well, one of them is that your doctor tells you that you have only five years to live. What will you do in the time you have remaining? I'm doing it.... seeing the world and spending time with my favorite people. Reconnecting with old friends.

Oh, that's right, I haven't mentioned the results of the last CT scan, which was on March 19th. Dr. Picozzi was pleased, and so I am still on "work release" until at last mid-May. No treatments at this time. Radiation is kind of like microwaving vegetables. They keep cooking even after you remove them from the microwave. That's how it is with tumors.... they keep shrinking for many weeks after the radiation treatment is complete. I can no longer feel where A.T. (Alien Tumor) was, above the left clavicle. I asked Dr. P. where A.T. might decide to show up next. His guess was in the lungs. Anyone want to start a betting pool? My attitude is that when I'm not on treatment, I'm essentially cancer free. We don't know how long that will last, but as Carol said at the seminar, "Live fully, authentically and share the best of you!". I had to chuckle when one of the passengers offered this line, "Staying in your own country is like reading page one of a good book". We blossom when we travel.

Speaking of working on "show up on time", I need to go!! Tonight is formal night, and I have half an hour to get ready. Fortunately, my short, curly, punky hair makes it easy to get ready quickly! Our table mates, Jim and Mary are quite delightful. Al says they remind him of a calm version of George Kastanza's parents. That was a good one, Al.

Tune in again for our continuing adventures in the southern Caribbean seas!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija - Thanks for the posting. I often wonder, "where in the world is Maija?" (like Waldo...) as you are constantly on the move. Bravo! I hope your cruise has a few calm days ahead; keep sending stories.

    We look forward to seeing you on May 3rd. Happy trails...kgm

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so excited for your latest adventure! I love you. Murphy "D

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, it sounds like you are having high seas. It reminds me of being sick on a couple of cruises. not fun. Hopefully the seas will calm down. Enjoy your adventures.

    Love you both,
    JoAnne

     
  • At 5:21 AM, Blogger Gary said…

    Maija;

    Are we to infer that your lack of further postings is caused by a failure of dramamine effectiveness?

    Looking forward to more...

    Gary

     

Post a Comment

<< Home