Inquiring Minds Want to Know....
Readers and Fans -- Oh, I must apologize for letting you down! I realize I have been horribly remiss about not updating you. How will you forgive me??
As I write this, I am sitting on a lanai, at Wailea Grand Champions on Maui. Overlooking the fairway, tropical birdies on the railing (okay as long as they don't get too close to me!!), and the shimmering ocean in the distance. I'm with Jan and Nora. We are enjoying a lovely, completely leisurely.... Girl-time.
I owe you stories of the actual journey on the Amazon, since I left off somewhere in the Caribbean (Tobago, to be exact). We ended up staying two additional nights, at a resort in Manaus (1,000 miles up the Amazon), and that is a whole other story. Then came the chapter of moving Ed (my dad) to an assisted living community (Merrill Gardens at Northgate), the 2nd annual Seattle "Celebration of Hope" Gala (benefit for pancreatic cancer), modeling at the Gilda's Club "Surviving in Style" fashion show, Eriks' high school graduation events in Miami, the May TG (tennis girls) birthday celebration at Pat's, time in Chelan with Marie's coaching/tips on shopping (not to mention lunch at Lake Chelan wineries), a girl slumber party at Dianne P's incredible new retreat on Camano Island, and and now... Maui! Whew, I am a busy girl!
But, for tonight, we will settle for a brief medical update. How does that sound? Lest some of you think I am on the brink of croaking, let me correct that notion. Nora says, "Oh, Maija!!" Jan says, "That's how she talks!" Jan is right, that IS how I talk.
My most recent CT scan was on May 20th. It is true, if you have cancer ("cancer people") there is a certain element of anxiety about the regularly scheduled tests.... whether they are CT scans, PET scans, MRIs, or other processes. My thing (translation = way of coping with a positive mindset) is to find fascination in the process, even if you have to drink yucky stuff, or have IV contrast. Have I told you that the IV contrast makes it feel like you have to pee? As it enters the system, it quickly warms various body parts, including the groin. Nora asks "How does it enter you?". It is via an IV in the arm. Yes, that means being stuck with a rather large needle. One gets used to being stuck with needles. That is perhaps why I am so adept at giving Sniglet (princess cat) her fluids via a needle. Being stuck is not a big deal.
Ta - Daaaah!! Remember I have talked about the pancreatic cancer tumor marker in the past, the CA 19-9? You would think I would know this exactly, but I don't remember at the moment (and don't have it here in Hawaii), I think "normal" is less than 36 or so. In March, following radiation and the 24/7 chemo pack ("the dog on a leash"), the "score" was 53 (this was the treatment for the alien who moved into the lymph node above the clavicle -- damn that little devil!!). On May 20th it was 32. That means "normal"!! For the time being, I am cancer free (that is how I prefer to think of it). The CT scans were also good. If you have friends or family members going through cancer treatments, make sure they are asking for printed copies of blood test results, and any radiology reports. Read the reports; if there is anything you don't understand, ASK questions! They contain a lot of medical mumbo-jumbo.
Now, about my fabulous HAIR. You wanted to know, didn't you? (Jan calls me at bitch, for having the easiest, freaking cute hair!). It has come back curly and with complete body! Thanks to Tiina at Roberto's Salon (yes, two "i's"; she is Estonian), it is the cutest cut, and uh.... a bit of Tiina's mastery on the color as well. This past Thursday, Tiina was quite "self-satisfied" because it has now grown out enough, and she can shape it to perfection. I think she loves it as much as I do! Short is great! You cannot believe how easy this hairstyle is! Wash-n-wear hair. Add a little bit of D:Fi (a great product). There are advantages to having had cancer. Cute hair is one of them! A brighter outlook on life is another. Enjoy cloud formations.
Did I tell you I bought a "bling" swimsuit today?? This was at a shop in the Four Seasons at Wailea. It actually has major bling on the front of the black and white suit (we are pretty sure they are real diamonds on the bodice and beyond). It is an "apres swim" suit; Nora says I can prance around the pool, no problem; she wants to hang it on a wall and stare at it. You wouldn't wear it in chlorine or in the sandy surf. But, it is totally cute, by Diva - Rachel Pappo. Nora and I have discovered that we might need to tear each other's hair out over animal prints and bling outfits. That means, when we are shopping, we love the same stuff! Seriously, this suit is a work of art. We are working on getting the perfect Ribkoff dress for Nora, to wear at a wedding in Montana this summer. This is serious work; we have important things to accomplish. If Jan can't find it on the internet, no one can!
Here are some clever thoughts that Nora received from a friend, via email (of course):
- Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.
- I used to eat a lot of natural foods, until I learned that most people die of natural causes.
- Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
- In the 1960s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird, and people take Prozac to make it normal.
- A good friend is like a good bra. Hard to find, supportive, comfortable and always close to your heart.
The girls in Hawaii send their love.... XOXOX


3 Comments:
At 6:27 PM,
Anonymous said…
must we beg again?
At 3:08 PM,
Anonymous said…
Maija,
I heard about the fun you gals had at Camano and now Hawaii! You always did know how to have fun. I think you should post a picture of you in your cute hair and bling, bling swimsuit! My motto has always been, "if it don't shine...it ain't mine" so love that you have some bling too on a swim suit of all things!
Enjoy, be safe, and know you are always close at heart. Say hi to the girls!
tracy
At 7:44 AM,
Anonymous said…
Oh Maija, where have your adventures taken you this week?
Post a Comment
<< Home