Sniglet's Mom

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Continuing Adventures of the PanCan Princess

It's Blogging Time again. So, you ask "what's with this PanCan Princess stuff?". New name for me, courtesy of my longtime dear friend, Cindi Jerden (used to be Saunders, used to be Anderson... I told you I've known Cindi for a long time!). Cindi and I met as "management trainees" at Seafirst Bank (predecessor to Bank of America) in 1978. That was back in the days when the banking industry was actively seeking females to train for management and loan officer positions. I suspect the industry had been slapped around for being totally male dominant in the leadership ranks. It was a good thing for us. The trainees coming on board were about 80% women. There were four of us in our group in Credit Training, on the 9th Floor of the Northern Life Building (which is now the Hotel Monaco in downtown Seattle) -- Cindi, Barb, Kathy and me. We liked Barb because she was crazy like us. Unfortunately, Barb was fired for embezzling from the Junior Achievement fund a few years later. Kathy thought we were very goofy (some things never change) and unprofessional; she tried to use French on us, as if to impress us with her wordliness. I can't remember when she left the bank (years ago), but needless to say, Cindi and I outlasted both of them (and most everyone else of our vintage, except for Dan Olson who is still on board at Bank of America in Bellevue -- you go, Dan!). Cindi and I became fast friends, through thick and thin. When we sat in our four person cubicle contraption, I used to take my shoes off, and Cindi would yell at me because my feet would stink and she could smell them on the other side of the cubicle wall (I have since solved that little problem). Those are the things that certainly bond a friendship for the decades. Goodness, I can really digress, can't I? But, it is MY BLOG, and I can do as I please.

Let's see, where did we last leave this story? Jan R. has provided the most recent medical update. You might be interested to know that my friend, Ann Trimble, and I have gotten ourselves back into a personality analysis book, which we first discovered about nine years ago, "Enneagram" by Helen Palmer. Coicidentally, Ann T. and Jan R. are both the personality type called "The Boss". Bosses like to control, and they are extremely protective of their friends. I am "The Performer", so I will continue to perform for you, and put on appearances as long as I can. A hiatus may be unavoidable once the upcoming round of treatments begin (more on that later).

The fun continues with Carole Bentley's "Jennifer Aniston" wig. While the Tennis Girls (TGs) were away for an overnight trip/slumber party last week (Point No Point, at Chris Valentino's beautiful log home overlooking the straits) everyone modeled the wig and we had our own photo shoot. It doesn't take much to entertain us. Regretfully, it is a bad look for me (color, cut, everything), but it was darn cute on some of the other girls. Just goes to show that one must SHOP for the right solution. Speaking of that, Jan R., Kimmy and I did pop into a salon in Bellevue yesterday, and found a couple of possibilities. We will continue the search. The likelihood of losing my hair over the next couple of months is not high, but even if it gets thin(ner) it would be nice to have a back-up. I don't need thinner hair than I already have. Supposedly, the subsequent chemo round (late in the year) is more likely to cause hair loss. Whatever. I was pondering whether to go ahead with a fresh foil. I mean, do I really want to pay $200 if it's going to fall out anyway?? But, if it's not going to fall out, who wants the drab (translation: graying) roots to start showing! This is among the major decisions of the past week.

Al left for fishing at Sekiu with Terry Mix last Friday. Just today someone asked me if Sekiu was in Alaska. No, it's west of Port Angeles on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The salmon have been slow to swim inland this year because it's been so warm. Thankfully, they have arrived. Terry and Al have been enjoying great fishing and have limited the last couple of days (8 Silvers per day for the two of them, and they've caught a lot of natives, which must be released -- natives are fish which are not hatchery raised). In the meantime, Jan R., Steve and I headed to Lake Chelan this weekend to visit Marie and Brad at their gorgeous home on the western shore. Kudos to them and their decorator; what a beautiful retreat (and it wasn't too shabby to begin with!). We had such a nice time visiting the wineries in the area, a booming new business on land that was once predominantly apple orchards (or nothing). We stocked up for our wine cellars.

In my quest to GAIN WEIGHT and EAT MORE, I ordered a turkey melt with fries for lunch at Campbell's Resort. Interestingly, everyone else seemed to follow suit and ordered "big". I mean, have any of you ever seen Marie eat a whole pulled pork sandwich?? I thought it was a hallucination. I managed to devour every bite of my selection, and proceeded to move on to others' plates of fries (with tartar). Hmmmm.... probably not a total surprise that a few hours later, this little Princess did not feel very well. Let's just say that I probably don't need to add bulemia to my list of ailments. Once I had recovered, Jan (remember, "The Boss" is protective of her friends) noted that we should visit the Virginia Mason nutritionist as early as possible in the week, and figure out how to fatten me up without side effects. Aside from that episode, we had a thoroughly lovely time with the Gunns, and I lived to eat more senisibly the next day.

TUESDAY'S MEDICAL APPOINTMENTS. Jan R. and I met with Angela, the nutritionist. I need to consume 1,900 - 2,400 calories and 65-80 grams of protein daily. Less than 20 grams of fat per meal. Did you know that the digestive system slows down in the evening, so it is truly best to do the bulk of eating earlier in the day? My new rule of thumb is to be totally done with eating by no later than 7:00 pm. I have stocked up on whole fat cottage cheese, veggies (with butter), yakisoba noodles, tofu, whole milk, ice cream, potatoes and toppings (not bacon, juices. Several friends have offered nutritional advice. Thanks... I am glad to read what you guys send me (but don't ask me to discuss it; just send it on over).

Angela's office reminded me of when I was a kid, and I had a "store" with all sorts of empty packaged food boxes. She had a wide variety of props. We did find it helpful that she had measuring cups and a bowls of different sizes, along with blobs of fake plastic food. It helps to understand what she means by a portion. We were also glad to learn that wine isn't off limits (Jan asked her the question with great trepidation). For now the intent is to add calories. Angela provided samples of breakfast drinks and other stuff (I haven't looked in the bag since I brought it home). It's a good idea for me to sample different nutritional supplements and liquids now, so that I have a diverse menu available once I'm into chemo, when many patients resist eating or drinking, which is BAD, BAD, BAD. Staying very well hydrated during treatment tends to offset the nausea and fatigue. I know that Al and my friends will be cramming stuff down my throat.

THE RADIATION ONCOLOGIST: DR. BERIT MADSEN
We weren't sure what was going to take place at this appointment. Her assistant, Christopher, had told me it would be no more than an hour for the "consultation". That implied "talking" to me, and that's really all it was. Talking and Dr. Madsen looking DEEP into my eyes with a very steady gaze. Of course, if someone is going to stare at me, I will stare right back. I think her mission at this juncture was to assess my commitment, stamina and readiness for the aggressive treatment protocol. She painted a picture of the possibility of severe discomfort (bad flu symptoms) which could last for three weeks+, mouth sores, and a desire to curl up in a corner and die. Well, no.... that doesn't sound very appealing, but it's not like I have a choice, so let's move on with it. In the end she seemed to feel comfortable with my support network and fortitude, and she readily concluded that if anyone could do it, I could.

WHAT IS a PICC LINE?
A PICC is a "peripherally inserted central catheter". It is a long, soft, flexible and hollow tube that is placed in a vein in the arm, just above the elbow area. It is moved up the vein until it reaches a large vein above the heart called "superior vena cava". Yeah, yeah.... I don't really KNOW all of this.... I'm copying it from a handout. Ugh, it sounds ghastly. Jan R. and I saw a couple of folks sporting one of these yesterday. Let's just say they aren't particularly cute, and they don't lend themselves well to accessorizing. So far, it's really the first thing that has sort of grossed me out. I had best get over it, as it is scheduled for installation on the 19th. Think of me at 9:30 PT.... ugh, ugh, ugh. I hope I don't throw up. The medical team uses this device to shoot in the chemo, and do whatever else they feel like doing with it. We are attending a "chemo orientation" session tomorrow (also a separate "radiation orientation" session), so I'm sure we will know everything we need to know, and then some.

The PanCan organization is aspiring to have November designated as "National Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month". If you haven't already done so, you can go into the PanCan website, and follow the prompts to write an email to your legislator in support of this awareness (it's easy). Kimmy spoke to one of the PanCan Board Members, Cynthia Stroum, who happens to be based in Seattle. More to come on how we can support the organization. I had ordered their educational kit, and I must say it is outstanding. It's just too bad they are so invisible to the masses. Together, we can work on changing that.

In closing for today, we have.....
CAT STORIES (Only for those who like cats): It is fall, and with fall come the crane flies. Sniglet's current hunting activity is centered on crane flies who find their way into the house. Perhaps a Kitty Camouflage outfit is needed in her wardrobe.
Sniglet does not seek, crave nor even care for people food. Her interest in people food is limited to Cheerios (as a preferred snack), and occasionally licking the remnants of a cereal bowl. Imagine my surprise on Tuesday morning when she stole my English muffin with chunky peanut butter, and proceeded to actually eat it!! I was sure I was going to come home to something resembling a hair ball (with added nut chunks), but I guess we got lucky and there was no residue.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,
    You are amazing and an inspiration! Thank you for sharing all of your adventures with us in such a lighthearted manner. I can see you telling the stories in person with such animation and it is heartwarming. You are in the Interstate team's thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you are starting on some very "healthful" foods - tofu and yakisoba noodles (what are those!?) to add the weight. If you get tired of those and want something sweet I recommend double stuff oreos, rice pudding and I think Marie Calendar's sells their whipping cream for their pies by the bag. So those might be nice alternatives :) Take care of yourself and keep that humor! Let us know how we can get the bracelets when you get a chance!
    Kristin

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija, like all your family and friends you and Al have been constantly on my mind. The Blog answers all my many questions, so I will spare you that. When you are up to another plate of "french fries" you know who to call!!! I know you must have thought I dropped off the face of the earth, but I'm still here. Thinking of you both each day. Norm

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so proud of you! I'm expecting you will rise to this challenge the way you attacked "butt-darts"...I still have a picture and am prepared to share it with anyone who is curious...maybe...
    Love, Murphy

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija:

    Your humor is entertaining, as always! Be strong.

    W.E.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,
    You are a rock of stone! I admire your spirit and hopefully it has rubbed off on me.
    Thank you so much for all that you have done in my career.
    You are in my prayers.....

    James P.

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija!
    Knowing you, you are doing exactly as we would expect.
    I have always said, you are a rolemodel as a human being.
    "Turies dus'igi".
    Maija and Al, we want to see you soon here, which ever A-Z plan you chose, will be perfect for us.
    Steve should have given you those thousand hugs we have sent you.
    Probably shortly we will be living near by, as there are serious plans to move Florida closer to Idaho (it is a hurricane advise)...that will place us in a closer possition to join you for a glass of wine or some french fries...no tartar sauce...
    Vienmer musu domas,
    Helena un Ivars

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija!!
    I have been looking at your blog and I love it. Im happy that Sniglet likes muffins with peanut butter haha. Cant wait to see her eat it next time I go to Seattle. But next time I have to teach her to eat Coco Crips. I hope to see you and Al soon here.
    Huge "abrazo"
    Eriks 22

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija -

    Why has it taken you this long to start blogging. And don't tell me it's because of the PanCan!

    I don't care if you have "anything" to talk about or not, just write what's going on in your head.

    It really is interesting and delightful for the rest of us. You certainly best me for sure.

    Best of luck next week with the PICC. Dad had one and it certainly made the chemo session "easier". That's relative, you understand.

    Gary

     

Post a Comment

<< Home