Report on Day One!!
Message from Jan:
Well, we're off and running! We (Al, Maija and Jan) just got home from Maija's first big day of her treatments. We were at Virginia Mason from 7:45 until 4:00. It was a busy day, but not painful or unpleasant. Maija has a nice "room with a view", so she called Martha W. who works on FAB-33 and told her to wave! We couldn't see the wave, but when she raised and lowered her blinds, Maija was able to spot her. (It really doesn't take much to entertain us....thanks, Martha!).
I promise I won't write as long a message as Maija, because I'm still a working girl (altho not for long....I announced my retirement yesterday and will be available for full-time friendship and nursing on October 15th!).
So, Maija's day consisted of 4 liters of fluid via her PICC line (hydration is REALLY important during these treatments), 1-hour of chemo drip, 15 minutes of radiation, and the attachment of her "dog" (named by nurse Mandy). The dog is a contraption that she must wear 24/7 and provides a very slow and constant chemo drip (her second type of chemo medicine). This drug is called 5FU for short. We created a clever way to remember the name: 5-F-U cancer!! You can deduce what the F and U stand for...
In between all these exciting treatments, she went potty about 30 times (because of all the fluids), ate one container of yogurt, half a tuna sandwich and drank a couple small cans of juice. I worked on our treatment calendar, so we can organize all the volunteers. Al ran some errands for Maija's Dad. So, as you can see, a busy but absolutely fine first day.
As predicted, Maija is now (5:30 p.m.) starting to shiver and feel like she's getting the flu. Nurse Nancy warned us that the first time you have an interferon shot, you will feel pretty punky about 2-4 hours afterwards. These symptoms will last 3-4 hours, so by bedtime, she should be fine. They sent her home with some very powerfull nausea meds. We named one of them!! It costs $600 for 7 of these pink wonders (fortunately she only takes one a day)!! We named it the "princess pill". Nurse Mandy loved that.
Okay, the final topic: what to name that contraption that her I.V.'s hang from. She is hooked up to that metal wonder all day, so we really feel it would be rude not to address it by name. Any suggestions? One of the nurses said another patient named his "Chemo-sabee"! Get it?? We want something different, so we're looking for suggestions.
All for now!
Jan
Well, we're off and running! We (Al, Maija and Jan) just got home from Maija's first big day of her treatments. We were at Virginia Mason from 7:45 until 4:00. It was a busy day, but not painful or unpleasant. Maija has a nice "room with a view", so she called Martha W. who works on FAB-33 and told her to wave! We couldn't see the wave, but when she raised and lowered her blinds, Maija was able to spot her. (It really doesn't take much to entertain us....thanks, Martha!).
I promise I won't write as long a message as Maija, because I'm still a working girl (altho not for long....I announced my retirement yesterday and will be available for full-time friendship and nursing on October 15th!).
So, Maija's day consisted of 4 liters of fluid via her PICC line (hydration is REALLY important during these treatments), 1-hour of chemo drip, 15 minutes of radiation, and the attachment of her "dog" (named by nurse Mandy). The dog is a contraption that she must wear 24/7 and provides a very slow and constant chemo drip (her second type of chemo medicine). This drug is called 5FU for short. We created a clever way to remember the name: 5-F-U cancer!! You can deduce what the F and U stand for...
In between all these exciting treatments, she went potty about 30 times (because of all the fluids), ate one container of yogurt, half a tuna sandwich and drank a couple small cans of juice. I worked on our treatment calendar, so we can organize all the volunteers. Al ran some errands for Maija's Dad. So, as you can see, a busy but absolutely fine first day.
As predicted, Maija is now (5:30 p.m.) starting to shiver and feel like she's getting the flu. Nurse Nancy warned us that the first time you have an interferon shot, you will feel pretty punky about 2-4 hours afterwards. These symptoms will last 3-4 hours, so by bedtime, she should be fine. They sent her home with some very powerfull nausea meds. We named one of them!! It costs $600 for 7 of these pink wonders (fortunately she only takes one a day)!! We named it the "princess pill". Nurse Mandy loved that.
Okay, the final topic: what to name that contraption that her I.V.'s hang from. She is hooked up to that metal wonder all day, so we really feel it would be rude not to address it by name. Any suggestions? One of the nurses said another patient named his "Chemo-sabee"! Get it?? We want something different, so we're looking for suggestions.
All for now!
Jan


7 Comments:
At 7:50 PM,
Anonymous said…
Maija!
Turies dus'igi!!! October 27th will be a day to celebrate!!!
Helena
At 11:36 PM,
Anonymous said…
Maija - this is my second attempt at logging on to your blog. I guess I'm not as techno-savvy as I used to be. I can't believe you are in this space, and am touched by your spirit and determination. I think of you daily. John has been fighting the cancer demon the past 4 years, and continues to surface as a winner. So 1) we understand the fears and challenges you are facing and 2) we celebrate life and 3) we know that cancer can be survived.
You seem to be surrounded by incredible friends - it is your trademark. kg and jg m.
At 7:19 PM,
Anonymous said…
Maija,
I've been catching up on your wonderful blog. Congrats on completing your first day of chemo. I'm in awe of your courage, positive attitude and sense of humor. I'm sure you are the favorite patient of all your caregivers. I lit a candle for you in Il Duomo in Milan - since it's in the fashion capital of the world it should bring you good luck.
Hmm.. chemo-sabee... that's a tough one to top. But here is my humble suggestion with a nifty jingle to accompany it:
The PanCanMan
(sing to the tune of The Candy Man with apologies to Willy Wonka)
Who can hold the chemo
The pumps and fluids, too
Shadow Maija closely
Till the grueling day is
through
The PanCanMan
Oh, the PanCanMan can
The Pan Can Man can cause
he's on the treatment
plan
To help our Maija get cured
The Pan Can Man takes
The chemo and it snakes
It all the way up Maija's
PIC line
Making sure it gets there
on time
Not as fun as drinking
fine wine.
Who's the silent sentry
Who rolls through Maija's
day
Up & down the hallway
And the ladies room's ok
The PanCanMan
Oh, the PanCanMan can
The PanCanMan can cause
he's on the treatment
plan
To help our Maija get cured
xo Barb Smith
At 9:59 AM,
Anonymous said…
I loved the PanCanMan - how clever -- now I can't get the song out of my mind... I must get a new outfit so it fits the tune... mmnnn... let me think ...
My thought for the contraption - how about Princess Pole???
I love your blog ---
hugs --- Tammie
At 10:29 PM,
Anonymous said…
hmmm
Knowing your penchant for shopping, perhaps
"the Rack" ...
nah ... too cheap!
W.E.
At 4:13 PM,
Anonymous said…
Maija - I like the PanCan Man and don't have an original of my own but do have personal recommendations for liquid energy drinks to supplement your diet. Remember to chill these in fridge or drink over ice in champagne glass! (These were recommended to me from cancer patient and I used them after my heart surgery!)
1-Boost Plus
2-Glucerna
Carl and I have been following your progress and sending positive vibes your way. We are here for you and it sounds like you are in a very good treatment program.
Hanna
At 1:23 PM,
Anonymous said…
Just call it "The thing a ma jig" or shortened " The tmj". Ok, it was a try...
Cousin Pete.
Post a Comment
<< Home