Sniglet's Mom

Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Adventures of Chemo Brain Continue

I have now completed two sessions of the next round of GemTax chemo treatment. It's a nine week cycle, with six treatments during the nine weeks. This coming week is my week "off". I find that I really don't mind going to Virginia Mason for the four hour session. I think of it as a time to relax, sit back, chill out, watch T.V., read, or visit with whomever takes me to the clinic. Al insists on having someone take me because I'm quite sleepy during the final hour. This is due to a four drug cocktail, which is administered prior to the treatment (to prevent nausea or discomfort, and it works perfectly because I experience no ill effects whatsoever). The drugs include Benadryl and Compazine, both of which do a great job of making a person a "shhleepy squirrel", as G.B. would say. Even when I'm wide awake earlier in the treatment, and quite sure I won't be sleepy this time, I invariably conk out during the final hour.

This past Wednesday (treatment day, in the morning) I thought it would be helpful if we had Jan and Steve come for dinner because they had so much going on with wedding prep. Jan and I had discovered the BEST ever stew recipe in the Williams-Sonoma Snow Country Cooking cookbook. It's called Hearty Winter Beef Stew; we made it in Sun Valley last month. It is SO good -- truly the best (let me know if you'd like the recipe). This is a story about what can happen when Chemo Brain cooks. As I said, I am very sleepy when the treatment is over. This time, in particular, I could have stayed at the clinic for at least another hour, and just slept it off. Al and I came home, I puttered around. At 4:00 he went to join Terry M. and Brad G. at the Woolly Toad (their occasional boy gathering spot at Newcastle). I had laid down to take a short nap. Al returns at 6:00, and the house is still dark. That's because I'm still sound asleep on the sofa. Being great in the kitchen, like Al is, he offers to help start the stew (wondering if it isn't kind of late to get it going). I chop, Al sautes the ingredients. By the time Jan and Steve arrive, we pretty much have it all in the pot, including the browned beef. Then Al looks at the recipe and realizes that it needs to simmer for 1 1/2 hours, followed by additional steps requiring 20 more minutes of cooking time. We won't be eating until 10:00! We ordered pizza from Jet City, and had a hearty laugh about my inability to plan accordingly, due to Chemo Brain! I've told you before, between Chemo Brain and Menopause Brain, I have enough excuses to cover all bases.

Now having said all that, I still don't think that many of you understand that I am perfectly healthy, with 100% energy, and no illness. I keep getting comments about how well I look, like people cannot believe it. That's because I'm not sick; I have a disease, but I'm not sick. In fact, Dr. Picozzi (whom I continue to simply adore; he cracks me up) is lecturing in Chicago at the end of the month about doctor/patient relationships. He was telling Al and me how he's planning to take his thoughts in the direction of treating the disease versus treating the illness. The illness can be the emotional toll cancer takes on people and/or the sickness that can result. Treating the disease alone doesn't make for good connections with patients. Then, Dr. P. added how I'm remarkable because I've virtually had no "illness" during my treatments, which makes it very easy for him (other than my anorexic zombie stage during the 5 1/2 weeks last fall).

Being bald certainly saves a lot of time in getting ready, but I am now cutting into that time savings a bit because I now have to give myself eyebrows. Yesterday I decided it was time for a trip to the Clinique counter, to learn how to do this. I've always had dark eyebrows, so I've never learned how to use an eyebrow pencil. Thanks to Madeleine Opheikens (doesn't that sound like a name that a make-up artist should have?) at Nordstrom's in Bellevue Square, I am now becoming an eyebrow expert. It's really quite easy. As Madeleine says, "Eyebrows should be sisters, not twins" (i.e. it's not important that they match exactly). Well, Madeleine was clearly very good at what she does because I walked out of there with $178 of new products. My eyelashes are doing silly things. It's like they have become wild children. The remaining ones are longer than normal, but going off in all directions. They really are goofy. Of course, Madeleine helped with counteracting that situation as well, with eye-liner. If you would like to have a consultation with Madeleine, you can reach her at 425.455.5800, ext. 1056. I would go back to her in a heartbeat.

Never had a sweet tooth really. Now I do. What's that about?? Anyway, Penny Monger served a very fun and easy dessert in Sun Valley. So simple -- try this! Haagen Dazs has a Bailey's ice cream (yum!!). Just pour Grand Marnier over it, and voila, you have a fancy little dessert! Guaranteed to please.

My CA19-9 (cancer marker for pancreatic cancer) is now down to 12, which is very much in the low normal range. Dr. P. is very pleased because as he says, "the cancer is doing very poorly". I'm going to give you a little lesson on "cancer markers". Tumor markers are substances produced by cancer cells. They may act as signs of cancer. Tumor markers show up in the blood (in the case of the CA19-9), urine or other parts of the body. Doctors look at these markers to learn about the cancer, how it should be treated, and how the patient is responding to treatment (the most common use for tumor markers). Tumor markers can also show a return of cancer before an X-Ray or CT Scan does.

As an example BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes can change their form. If women in your family have had breast or ovarian cancer, you may want to ask for this test. People with liver cancer have high levels of the GGT tumor marker. Two different tumor markers are used in treating lung cancer -- CEA and NSE. A widely used marker for cancer of the ovaries is CA125. Most of you are probably aware that PSA is the marker for prostate cancer. It's all quite interesting, don't you think so?

On my 2/26 return trip to Seattle, for treatment, I had several hours of shopping time in downtown Boise (which I orchestrated, of course). Thanks to Becky King, who gave me a whole slew of stores and boutiques to check out! As I was wandering around downtown, I spotted a shop called "Ishi Nights", which low and behold, had evening gowns in the window. Checking my time, I realized I had enough time to to explore this shop before my flight to Seattle. Guess what! I found the perfect PURPLE gown for the PanCAN gala. How exciting, especially since the price was very reasonable. I'd much rather donate more to the cause, than spend an excessive amout on a purple gown. Although, it will pack quite easily, and I can take it along for a formal night on our Asia cruise in October. This seems like a good time to remind you all to mark your calendars for the May 4th gala, at the Westin in Seattle. Hey, you'll get to meet Dr. P..... that alone is worth it!

Al has it all figured out. He knows how we'll dye my hair purple (it's growing enough that I should be able to do this within the next couple of weeks). He's going to tie a rope to my feet, and dunk me in a bucket in the garage. Reminds me of the time I hung upside down at the Giggling Marlin in Cabo. Remember that, Lysa??

Next report will be on Anna and Sachin's wedding, which was last night. Ahhhh, it was lovely, just perfect, and SO much fun. This afternoon is the family post-event, which we will leave for shortly. More food and merriment. With my sweet tooth, I'm looking forward to imbibing in left over cake!! Six months ago I had no idea what kind of condition I would be in by the time the wedding came around. I'm so lucky.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! I'm going to China in October too for two weeks with my sisters and one brother-in-law. Shanghai first & ending in Beijing, with a short cruise on the Yangtze. Maybe we'll "bump" into each other! Cool!

    MP

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger Lysa said…

    Yes, yes, of course I remember! One of my fondest memories. :-) Thank you for all of your wonderful posts...keep them coming!

    Much love to you and Al.

    Lysa and Todd

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Maija,
    Here's a tip about the drowsiness caused by the Benadryl--ask for Allegra instead. Much less drowsiness! Marge the chemo nurse told me to ask for it.
    Your friend in disease,
    GH

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,

    I am so happy for you!!! Haven't gotten a chance to read your blog in over a month but what great news you are sharing! You are such an inspiration! Congratulations! Next time you are in DT Boise stop by and see us! Kristin

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija,

    Greetings. You don't know me, but I work with Marc Wright and he told me about your condition. I too have pancreatic cancer. My name is Jose Lopez and I work with Marc at WaMu (he is my boss). He told me what an inspiration you are and to read your blog. I've just finished.

    A little about me - I was diagnosed in Nov 06, I have a big tumor in my pancreas and several small ones in my liver. As you know, it is inoperable. I'm only 52, what happy times!!! So far my treatments appear to be working (Gemzar and Tarceva, a daily pill). My tumors have shrunk, about 70%, and are expected to shrink more in the coming months. Some of the liver tumors have gone away completely.

    I see you have taken a very positive, live-life-to-the-fullest attitude, which is great. I too have taken on that attitude, and I think I have done a good job with it. My wife and I were in Hawaii in January, just got back from Lake Tahoe ski trip, going to Puerto Vallarta in July. We planned a Panama Canal cruise for early March, but it was cancelled due to ship damage. Bummer. We've rescheduled a similar cruise for the fall. Plus, we get away for short weekend trips as we can.

    Mean while, I am attempting to work as best I can. Marc and everyone at WAMU have been fantastic and very supportive. I find that going to work on a regular basis is part of my therapy, and keeps me on an even keel. I make it to work most days, but some days I'm just too tired and I try to work from home.

    You go girl, keep up the great attitude, it's the only thing we can control. And if attitude has anything to do with it, you and I will be around for a long time. We gotta show that cancer who's boss! So there!

    Jose

     

Post a Comment

<< Home