Sniglet's Mom

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me!!

Unlike a lot of people, I have always enjoyed birthdays.... mine and everyone else's. A cause for celebration. When one has cancer, birthdays are even better. It means we've made it to another milestone. Bring 'em on! I'll take all the birthdays I can get! My 53rd was on Monday May 7th.... yay! It's GREAT to be 53! Looking forward to being 54, 55, and on and on...

It has been a terrific birthday week, starting with the PanCAN Gala on the 4th (more about that in the next chapter). Dinner with friends at "Adiamo" on the 7th (wow, John Williams even came.... thanks for coming, John!). Wednesday night fun with the TGs (Tennis Girls) at my house, and the annual tuna casserole dinner at G.B. and Tana's last night. The background story there is that I LOVE tuna casserole (the traditional kind with cream of mushroom soup, and potato chips crushed on top, but NO peas and no fancy stuff!). Most people don't really LOVE tuna casserole the way I do, so my good friend, Tana, makes it for me every year (for the last eight years). Because of other guests, Tana is always the gracious hostess and has a different main course for those who don't appreciate tuna casserole as intensely as I do. I had leftover tuna casserole for breakfast this morning (some reheated, and another helping of it cold). It just gets better the next day. Thank you all for my 32 birthday cards. Steve said I have too many friends when he saw all of my cards arranged on the nook table.... I sort of set up a shrine to myself when I receive birthday cards.

Did you remember your favorite nurse last week? It was Nurses' Week, in case you didn't know. Being the paper products fan that I am, when I saw Nurses' cards at Target ("Tarzhay") a few weeks back, I felt it was my responsibility to buy up as much of their inventory as possible. As I've mentioned before, I have a tremendous appreciation for nurses, given the time I've spent in their presence in the past nine months. My special thanks at Virginia Mason go to Betsy and Valerie, in Oncology. They are fun, even if they are poking needles and catheters into my veins. Cheers also to my nurse friends: Ann T., Barb S., and my dear cousin, Kristine.

Nurse Betsy has named my pre-treatment cocktail as the "pre-game warm up". I'm never quite sure what she's feeding me, so I asked her to write it down. This combo is intended to prevent nausea during the chemo treatment. It works; I have never felt the least bit nauseated. It consists of Fexofenadine (Allegra), Ranitidine, Compazine and Dexamethasone (a steroid administered via the I.V.). All this, coupled with the other aspects of treatment day, results in a weekly bill of ~ $5,000+ submitted to the insurance company. Small wonder then that I received a personal call from "Donna" at Aetna Insurance recently. Of course, I'm too busy to call her back promptly; then she sends a letter. I'm guessing that when patients hit a certain horrific sum in medical expenses, they call to: a) make sure it's not fraud, or b) try to discreetly uncover how much longer they're going to have to pay out at this level. I did finally call "Donna" back, who asked me questions like "Are you depressed?" (No!), "How is your treatment going? How much longer will you have this treatment?", "Are you participating in group counseling?" (No.). Fortunately, I called from Virginia Mason, so when she asked me what kind of chemo I was on, I could ask Betsy (since I can never remember the full technical names, other than referring to it as GemTax). I suppose it was "nice" of Donna to call, but I am suspicious of the true motives. I don't crave a warm and fuzzy, personal relationship with anyone at the insurance company. Don't call me, I'll call you.

Last time I mentioned that my fingernails were sensitive. They became more sensitive, to the point where I couldn't perform tasks which require fingernail involvement. We don't think about how we use our fingernails typically. Think of untying shoe laces, opening necklace clasps, pulling the fitted sheet over the mattress, prying open plastic packaging, opening eye shadow containers, punching buttons on a cell phone, pulling up socks, starting to peel a banana... you get the picture. It was "ouch!". Neuropathy is a condition that affects the nerves in the feet and hands, making them tender. If I'm going to have a condition, I like having a fancy name attached to it. Well, Dr. Picozzi told me that no, I don't have neuropahty because it's the nails that are tender, not the fingers. Darn, well then what is the medical term for it? He suggested I call it "Maija-opathy". Dr. P. laughed when I told him I was having trouble with shoelaces and said, "You haven't switched to Velcrox yet?". To add a bit of grossness, my left forefinger even developed a rather unpleasant, musty odor underneath the nail. I could get Jan to smell it (I practically stuck my finger in her nostril), but Al refused to participate in the validation. Dr. P. suggested applying some Neosporin under the nail. For whatever reason, this malady seems to be running its course, and is definitely getting better. I think it's been tied to where the radiation line is in the nail, from last fall's treatment. That line has almost grown out. Once it's completely past where the nail touches the skin underneath, I think I'll be home free. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. The concept of "stink nail" makes me laugh anyway, because it reminds me of Al's brother, Gary (the professor), and his "stink neck". We've never let Gary forget this. A few years back, it was towards the end of ski season, somehow we discovered that Gary's "Turtle Fur" neck gator was stinky (think of a stale dishrag). It seems he never thought to air it out after a day of breathing (not to mention, snotting) in it. The cummulative effect from the season was a "stink neck" gator. I'm sure Gary is delighted that I'm sharing this story.

This is bad.... I am CRAVING more tuna casserole. My mouth is watering. I must go get some.... I'll be right back. It's "bad" because I have completely managed to gain back all 20 pounds which I lost in my semi anorexic state during last fall's treatment. I am living proof that it is not at all difficult for a person to gain 20 pounds in six months. It was a silver lining to eat like a little piggy, but the party is over. It's time to watch my food intake, and make smarter choices (she says as she's eating tuna casserole). Thank goodness I was able to squeeze into my purple PanCAN gown, even though I purchased it when I easily weighed five pounds less. I did feel a bit like a sausage in it, even though everyone was kind and said it looked perfect.

Tomorrow morning I'm taking Steve to his radiation appointment. He thought I would enjoy seeing the radiation equipment in action, from the other end (viewing). Sounds like an interesting outing to me. Especially since we'll go the Public Market afterwards. We cancer people have an odd connection. We can relate to things that are unique in our world. For example, if we experience a pain in the knee, a likely reaction is "Oh, I wonder if I'm getting knee cancer" (as if there is such a thing). It's just something you live with. I think we are much more aware of every body ache, digestive reaction, etc.

I met a woman at the Bellevue Club, who invited me to the annual "Surviving with Style" luncheon, benefiting the Seattle Gilda's Club. What a fabulous event that was! Over thirty boutiques and local shops had their garments modeled by women, men and a few youngsters, who are all cancer survivors (many still battling their diseases). It was heartwarming, uplifting and energizing! I trust most of you are familiar with Gilda's Club (memorializing Gilda Radner, who lost her battle with cancer). If you're not, their mission is "to provide a meeting place where men, women and children living with cancer, along with their families and friends, join with others to build social, emotional, and educational support. Free of charge, and non-profit, Gilda's Club offers support and networking groups, lectures, workshops, and social events in a nonresidential home-like setting". What a fabulous mission! I have been so lucky because of the strong circle of support that I've had from friends and family, but many people don't have that kind of support within their own network. The signature "red door" of Gilda's Club welcomes everyone. Oh, and I was sitting next to Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels, who was there to present a special corporate visionary award. Pretty swanky.

One other minor side-effect, which I experienced last month. I note these with the intent of being helpful to other patients (not to bore the rest of you). A couple of days after an April trip to Seattle from Sun Valley, for a chemo treatment, my forearm was sore to the touch, and slightly swollen. Not a big deal, but I thought it would be prudent to call the Virginia Mason hotline for advice. Apparently, it is not uncommon to get a chemo burn in the veins. Advil and icing it were the recommended remedies. The soreness dissipated within a week, but the discoloration of the vein remained present for several weeks. Lately, the nurses have had more difficulty inserting the chemo catheter on the first try. I believe I'm frustrating to them because their job would be easier if I would have a port installed. I am holding my ground; I don't want to have a port. If all continues well, I have another eleven chemo treatments remaining (through mid-September). My May 2nd CT Scan revealed no change (the tumor continues to not be visible). If I stay "stable", as Dr. P. phrases it, then I will have a break from treatment, starting in September. That is the goal! This would be perfect timing for our anticipated Asia cruise, which starts in Bangkok, mid-October.

The ski season at Mt. Baker concluded on April 29th. Al ended the year with 43 ski days; I finished up with 38 (not counting 4/29 when I took only one run.... I didn't feel aggressive enough that day to face the slushy conditions). Here's to a fantastic 2006-07 ski season! I love my new K2 Lotta Luv skis, which I bought at the end of the season, on sale in Sun Valley. Al is thoroughly enjoying his new Rossignol B3's. Now I have to start working on my flawed tennis forehand (which pathetically lacks follow-through). I'm also planning to methodically start training for an '08 Triathalon. So far, Jodi J. and Kimmy have expressed an interest in joining me. Thanks, girls!! The swimming will be the daunting part. Picture dozens of other swimmers flapping their arms and legs around you... ugh. I definitely need to gain efficiency and confidence in swimming before I plunge myself into that kind of situation. Nonetheless, it's a fun (??) goal to work towards.

Earl S., Gary W., brother-in-law Vern, and cousin Pete.... yes, you are right, I have been quite remiss in updating my blog lately. I know, I know, I must be more diligent if I want to keep my readership strong. Thank you for the coaching, guys! I'm glad you are drawn to read it. Thanks to Vern for giving me the book "Putting Your Passion Into Print". You see, Vern wants me to write a book. Maybe some day. We'll see where this journey leads.

Now, please read the next chapter, about the May 4th PanCAN Gala! If you weren't there, you missed a MAGICAL NIGHT! Please plan to attend next year!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:48 AM, Blogger Gary said…

    Now that you've redressed your lapse in writing, I can more fully enjoy my spring. Thanks.

    Gary

     

Post a Comment

<< Home