One Week Down!!
The week hasn't been particularly eventful, so I've been remiss in posting, since Jan R. Provided last Wednesday's summary of the initial "long day". Time flies when you're having fun. Ha! Seriously, every day that I feel pretty good is a good day, and we are grateful for good days, especially with this beautiful sunny fall weather that the Northwest is experiencing. Today Al and I went up to driving range at Newcastle GC. I limited my practice to pitching and putting. I did quite well on both counts, if I do say so myself! I'm trying to avoid exertion, since my calories are not supposed to be used up by sweating. I think that's somewhat of a license to be a couch potato, but it is important to get out and walk. On Saturday Al and I walked around the Bellevue Botanical Gardens, which was a wonderful little outing. We must return at Christmas time, when they have amazing lights throughout the gardens.
Here's what's hard.... It is really difficult to try to consume fluids all day long. I've always been diligent about drinking water throughout the day, but this is bizarre. I'm trying, though. I know as time goes on that will be increasingly important in combating the side-effects of the treatment. The "layers" of anti-nausea pills really worked. No problem there, except for one morning when my strong gag-reflex kicked in for apparently no reason. Empty and half-empty bottles of water are all over the house.
Unlike the first time (on Wednesday of last week), the next two interferon shots have not caused any symptoms. It must be like Nurse Nancy told me, my body now recognizes those little men in the camouflage outfits, and has deemed it quite satisfactory for them to be running around in my bloodstream. It's a pleasure NOT having my own personal earthquake 3 1/2 hours following a shot!
My appetite varies. Today I was a hungry girl. I've discovered a yummy breakfast item -- "Go Lean's" frozen blueberry waffles. Add sliced bananas and maple syrup, and they are delicious! I must also compliment Annie Mix on a pasta dish she served for dinner on Saturday night. From the old "Spazzo" restaurant, which used to be on the top floor of the Key Tower in downtown Bellevue. Oh my, it was the BEST! We had dinner out tonight, and I had a pasta dish. It totally paled by comparison to Ann's recipe. I really do best with foods that are "white" (as Dr. Picozzi has suggested all along) and not spicy. That's a change for me.
I feel like I'm in a transformation chamber, and I don't quite know who I will become when I pop out at the other end. Okay, for one thing, I've had a horrible sense of smell for years. Suddenly, I can smell stuff more intensely. Al's not sure he likes that because he gets in trouble more. I actually listened to the Seahawks game on Sunday. Now, that is really weird, and I was very excited when they scored (and scored!). Wine just doesn't sound good, so I've become the designated driver. I'm discovering that being a teetotaler isn't necessarily an easy role. One is much more aware of the silliness of others. I'm drinking tea, which I didn't used to care for much. I eat fish crackers in bed. Turns out Sniglet likes them, too. We can add that to Cheerios and toast, as her only preferred choices of human food.
I'm living a very calm and peaceful existence. I just take it a day at a time, and I don't sweat the small stuff. My big decision each day revolves around what to wear to the clinic. I think tomorrow calls for my St. John casual shell since my pal Susan Walker is coming to visit. Susan is making a special trip up here, since she's on the west coast on business. We were counterparts when I was working (she was the Premier regional exec for the SE), and now Susan has a bigger mucky-muck role, including a larger territory, and Banc of America Investment Services as well as Premier Banking. Can't wait to see her! So, now you can see why the St. John top might be better than Russell sweats tomorrow (NO, I don't really wear Russell sweats, perish the thought!).
Tomorrow is the 27th, and on October 27th I will have completed this treatment protocol. Now, that is something to look forward to. In the meantime, I am feeling about 85% - 90% very good; I just take little naps now and then, which I never used to allow myself in the past. Naps are nice. Sniglet is a strong role model for the napping skill set.
I've received a ton more great cards. Thanks everyone. I'll post a future update on some of the best. I know, I can tell that many of you are now contestants for "funniest card". I'm enjoying them! I also have a fluffy bright yellow duck from Sarah, a whole box of purple things from Tammie (she called them PMS -- Purple Maija Stuff), a gardenia plant from Sue Forys and the Northern team. I am SO proud of myself, I haven't started to kill it yet.... so far it is thriving, which is unprecedented, a Bat boa and Halloween tiara from Sandy S., a beautiful new handmade shawl from Ann T. (Ann tried to teach me to knit this last winter in S.V. and gave up on me! I'd rather have her make it anyway!). I'm wearing the little angel pendant, which Helena sent. Her father had given it to her when she was eight, fighting rheumatic fever. Those are just some of the special things I've been enjoying. Thanks SO MUCH for your thoughts, care and love! I feel it.
If you haven't read Barb Smith's Blog comment.... you must do so. "The Pan Can Man" to the tune of "The Candy Man Can". Barb even wrote all new lyrics. She tells me it was the after-effects of jet lag, following their return home from Italy. I don't think so. That girl is naturally gifted!
Here's what's hard.... It is really difficult to try to consume fluids all day long. I've always been diligent about drinking water throughout the day, but this is bizarre. I'm trying, though. I know as time goes on that will be increasingly important in combating the side-effects of the treatment. The "layers" of anti-nausea pills really worked. No problem there, except for one morning when my strong gag-reflex kicked in for apparently no reason. Empty and half-empty bottles of water are all over the house.
Unlike the first time (on Wednesday of last week), the next two interferon shots have not caused any symptoms. It must be like Nurse Nancy told me, my body now recognizes those little men in the camouflage outfits, and has deemed it quite satisfactory for them to be running around in my bloodstream. It's a pleasure NOT having my own personal earthquake 3 1/2 hours following a shot!
My appetite varies. Today I was a hungry girl. I've discovered a yummy breakfast item -- "Go Lean's" frozen blueberry waffles. Add sliced bananas and maple syrup, and they are delicious! I must also compliment Annie Mix on a pasta dish she served for dinner on Saturday night. From the old "Spazzo" restaurant, which used to be on the top floor of the Key Tower in downtown Bellevue. Oh my, it was the BEST! We had dinner out tonight, and I had a pasta dish. It totally paled by comparison to Ann's recipe. I really do best with foods that are "white" (as Dr. Picozzi has suggested all along) and not spicy. That's a change for me.
I feel like I'm in a transformation chamber, and I don't quite know who I will become when I pop out at the other end. Okay, for one thing, I've had a horrible sense of smell for years. Suddenly, I can smell stuff more intensely. Al's not sure he likes that because he gets in trouble more. I actually listened to the Seahawks game on Sunday. Now, that is really weird, and I was very excited when they scored (and scored!). Wine just doesn't sound good, so I've become the designated driver. I'm discovering that being a teetotaler isn't necessarily an easy role. One is much more aware of the silliness of others. I'm drinking tea, which I didn't used to care for much. I eat fish crackers in bed. Turns out Sniglet likes them, too. We can add that to Cheerios and toast, as her only preferred choices of human food.
I'm living a very calm and peaceful existence. I just take it a day at a time, and I don't sweat the small stuff. My big decision each day revolves around what to wear to the clinic. I think tomorrow calls for my St. John casual shell since my pal Susan Walker is coming to visit. Susan is making a special trip up here, since she's on the west coast on business. We were counterparts when I was working (she was the Premier regional exec for the SE), and now Susan has a bigger mucky-muck role, including a larger territory, and Banc of America Investment Services as well as Premier Banking. Can't wait to see her! So, now you can see why the St. John top might be better than Russell sweats tomorrow (NO, I don't really wear Russell sweats, perish the thought!).
Tomorrow is the 27th, and on October 27th I will have completed this treatment protocol. Now, that is something to look forward to. In the meantime, I am feeling about 85% - 90% very good; I just take little naps now and then, which I never used to allow myself in the past. Naps are nice. Sniglet is a strong role model for the napping skill set.
I've received a ton more great cards. Thanks everyone. I'll post a future update on some of the best. I know, I can tell that many of you are now contestants for "funniest card". I'm enjoying them! I also have a fluffy bright yellow duck from Sarah, a whole box of purple things from Tammie (she called them PMS -- Purple Maija Stuff), a gardenia plant from Sue Forys and the Northern team. I am SO proud of myself, I haven't started to kill it yet.... so far it is thriving, which is unprecedented, a Bat boa and Halloween tiara from Sandy S., a beautiful new handmade shawl from Ann T. (Ann tried to teach me to knit this last winter in S.V. and gave up on me! I'd rather have her make it anyway!). I'm wearing the little angel pendant, which Helena sent. Her father had given it to her when she was eight, fighting rheumatic fever. Those are just some of the special things I've been enjoying. Thanks SO MUCH for your thoughts, care and love! I feel it.
If you haven't read Barb Smith's Blog comment.... you must do so. "The Pan Can Man" to the tune of "The Candy Man Can". Barb even wrote all new lyrics. She tells me it was the after-effects of jet lag, following their return home from Italy. I don't think so. That girl is naturally gifted!


2 Comments:
At 1:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
Maiija,
I love all the pics of your "peeps". Great update.
Suzanne Gorin
At 1:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
Maiija,
I love all the pics of your "peeps". Great update.
Suzanne Gorin
Post a Comment
<< Home