Sniglet's Mom

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

It's Nearly Week #4!!

I've been lazy about updating the BLOG. I will blame it on lack of wine. I used to find myself rather amusing when I'd write, with a glass of Chardonnay. Now, on the contrary, I tend to bore myself with my prattling. But, bore myself I must, otherwise you'll all be wondering if I'm at death's door or some such fate.

I thought I had discovered a viable occasional substitute for the wine -- Baileys over ice. Yum, it tasted so good on Saturday evening. That is until my body said "No, not for you!", and I had to visit the great white bowl about an hour later. Darn it anyway.

The great cards continue to flood in. On an average day it's three, and I feel badly that I haven't thanked each sender personally. I do thank you in my heart, that's for sure. Okay, for those of you who know Joan Enticknap, you'll appreciate this immensely. Joan sends me this card, which says "Wear some cool boots. Cool boots can make you feel like you can handle anything." Inside: "Or at least kick its ass really hard." Joan goes on to let me know that she has named herself "Maija's official purveyor of profanity". I'm genuninely honored. I can't think of anyone more skilled for the role. Everyone needs a friend who is willing to play that part. Thanks, Joan!

Tomorrow is Wednesday #4, and the start of week #4 (out of the 5 1/2 week protocol)! I continue to do quite well. The medical team members all say I look really good, and they've only seen a few patients doing this well at this stage. Al and Jan keep making me consume liquids. As I sit here, I have in front of me (all half finished) -- water, Diet Coke (from today's cheeseburger trip to McDonald's) and a can of Diet 7Up. Sorry, I can't stand regular soft drinks, they are too sweet for my liking. Everyone says "Why are you drinking diet drinks??". That's why.

JoAnne (Al's sister) and Vern sent me the cutest book, illustrated by Charles Schulz, "Don't Give Up, Charlie Brown!". It's one that you have to smile as you read. Vern picked it up at the Bruton Parish Church during their recent trip to Williamsburg. Very nice. Thank you.

I've received a lot of books. Al's comment was something along the lines of "I wish people would give you chocolate instead." Ha, ha. Jan didn't think I should share that comment, lest I end up with a house full of chocolate, stacked to the ceiling. Personally, I'm happy with my daily dose of Peanut M&Ms. I'm also into Pringles potato chips. It's good for me to eat what I desire because generally speaking, food holds very little interest for me. Today I weighed 130 pounds. I hope Dr. Picozzi doesn't get upset that I lost more weight this week.

Here's a quiz for the audience. On Thursdays I'm like Sniglet because I:

A. Cough up hairballs
B. Perform stretching exercises in front of the fireplace
C. Nap most of the day
D. Wait for my red-haired boyfriend to come visit, at the front door
E. All of the above

The correct answer is "C". I'm pretty tired after Wednesdays, due to the chemo treatment (and perhaps the Thursday-Friday Princess pill dose), so I just lounge around, and take naps. I give myself permission to enjoy them, and fall asleep during Ellen, even if she has interesting guests. Most of daytime TV is such a bore anyway. Then, I progressively rally day by day, and am pretty perky again by early in the week.

Tonight we are going to Dick's new condo, which Jo-Ann helped decorate. Can't wait to see the final result! But, I have a big worry. In fact, when I thought about it last night, I started to gag. Dick and Ann are providing dinner for the group from Maggione's. The thought of being in the same space with all that Italian food is disgusting to me. I'm going to take a couple of anti-nausea pills before departure. We have learned that this form of nausea originates in the brain, not the digestive system. So, it's really very much a head thing.

We have booked a 10-day cruise through the Panama Canal, to celebrate when this protocol is over. We'll depart from San Juan, Puerto Rico, and sail on Princess to Acapulco. We'll also be celebrating Jan's and Steve's respective retirements, and having a bit of fun before Jan has her second hip replaced in mid-December. Then it will be my turn to be the caregiver, and I boss her around. Yeah, right.

Okay, wish me luck in facing the Italian food.... it's time to go.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ....but the real reason Maija resembles Sniglet on Thursdays is F.) Looks gorgeous as usual

    xogb

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You go girl! And keep writing - we love it!

    I was just in Las Vegas for business (yes, hit a few slots) along with the business, but thought of my last trip with you and recalled how I received my review on the sidewalks of "Paris" with you.....Vegas holds all sorts of adventures and memories - that was great fun.

    Rest and liquids, rest and liquids and these treatments will be over before you know it!

    love you! tracy

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maija

    You're doing great and look great from the pictures I saw on your blog. You're blog is super, too!

    I'm on my sailboat in Costa Rica right now and will probably be further north in the next couple weeks. Maybe I'll see your cruise ship!

    Diane Rect.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home