Sniglet's Mom

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

YOU can make a difference by Raising YOUR Voice

A lot of you have expressed wishes to "help". Well, there is something you can do. It truly only takes a minute, and your effort WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. PanCAN provides a very, very easy way for you to contact your senator and congressmen in Washington, D.C. to let them know that funding for research, and a cure, for pancreatic cancer is important to you. Here's all you need to do:

Take a look to the right. You'll see a link to www.pancan.org. Please click on it, which will take you the PanCAN website. At the very top of the website is the call to action, titled "Raise Your Voice". Please click on that. Next you'll have an option to send the prepared email text (available there for your review, and you can also choose to edit with some personal comments). All you have to do is fill in your zip code.... it's that easy! You'll want to do it twice, once for Congress, and also for your Senators.

I'm not kidding, I just did it, and it took no more than two minutes. Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending a luncheon at Virginia Mason, which Dr. Picozzi arranged, with a few other patients, so we could meet the director of PanCAN (from El Segundo, CA) and a couple of her key colleagues. They have taken this relatively new organization a long way in just a few years. We want to become as visible as the breast cancer cause is. You know how the pink ribbons are everywhere. Did you know that 1 in 130 people will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer??

I learned that sending this kind of mail, in volume, to our legislators makes a difference. I specifically asked the question whether a form letter is realistically impactful. It is because their aids basically count how MANY constituents have made contact regarding a particular issue or topic.

My fellow patients and I would really appreciate your support in this effort. Next year, April 22- 24 PanCAN is organizing a lobbying effort in Washington D.C. Boy, that's right up my alley, if I'm feeling up to it. Now I can learn to lobby (they'll teach us how!). It would be a great excuse to visit D.C. in the spring!

Okay, on to an update. I'm no longer taking naps.... yay!! I've gained a couple of pounds! I've gone out to lunch a few times, and am actually able to order off of the menu, and consume most of what I've ordered. I don't "gag" anymore. My energy level is about 90% of normal. Today (in the horrible blustery rain) I was downtown getting my hair cut (very short, for ease and for covering my thinning area), and then walked up the hill to meet Dianne P. for lunch. I marched right up those hills, and didn't even get winded. Thank goodness I wore my Gortex ski jacket (the one I use for the quintessential wet Mt. Baker days).... it was a mess out there. Not a glamorous fashion statement for downtown, but practical.

We are all packed for the cruise, which departs from San Juan, Puerto Rico, and heads to the Panama Canal on Friday. We fly out tomorrow morning, via Dallas, and then on to San Juan. There is no question we are ready to see and feel some sunshine! Sniglet, and her cat cousin, Captain, will be living together here, and taken care of by our dear neighbors, the Olcotts. Gary and Janet (and Captain) have just arrived, so this will be all for today. Cheers (I'm thinking a chi-chi might be a good choice on the ship)!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did it..sent letters to both Senators and my Congressman. Easy Peasy. Thinking of you..enjoy the cruise. Elizabeth

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ....I think I did it...and it took less than a minute! g 'low tech' b

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I sent my letters today to Senators Cantwell and Murray and also Dave Reichert, my Representative. I also added a few comments at the bottom and a link to your blog so they can read your story and be as encouraged as I have been during the past few months. Have a wonderful time on your cruise and continue the great progress you have made!

    Bev T.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home