Sniglet's Mom

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Update from Jan.....

Okay, okay....we hear you!! Maija's been a little "quiet" on the blog this week and the phones are starting to ring. Everyone wants a much deserved update. So, to explain her recent silence, let me share this week's quote:

Maija asked Dr. Picozzi yesterday: "I've noticed that I have a really short attention span right now. I'm really having trouble concentrating on anything. Is that a typical side effect?"

And Dr. Picozzi responds: "Of course! Just think of all the drugs that we are putting in your body. You're getting a little taste of what it's like to be a man."

And then he laughs out loud with us! Two take aways from that story:

1) Dr. Picozzi is a hoot.
2) Maija doesn't have much interest or energy for email, phone calls or socializing right now (bizarre as that sounds for Maija!)

So, I thought I'd better give you all a quick update. Al, Steve and Terry (for those of you we don't know as well, Steve is my husband and Terry/Ann are very close friends) all took off for Sun Valley last Saturday. They are enjoying a "man's week" down there, while the aspens are in full golden bloom (did you notice, boys?). In the mean time, I am playing "sleep over" with Maija. This is my first full week of retirement, so it's been fun to wake up at 7:30 or 8:00 (that's really late!) and watch a few minutes of morning (boring) T.V. with my girlfriend.

So, here's an update on Maija:

Dr. Picozzi says she is his model patient! She is tolerating this unbelievably intense protocol as well as any patient ever has. She is avoiding many of the worst side effects (mouth sores, sick to stomach, etc.). I would characterize her current situation as: tired, not very interested in anything, doesn't want anything to do with food (and I mean ANYTHING). Otherwise, she's doing great! We've been out running errands and we even went to a movie with Ann ("Man of the Year" with Robin Williams. It was delightful!).

So, don't be worried about how she's doing. You should worry about those of us that are trying to trick her into eating and drinking fluids! All is well and she will finish this UNBELIEVABLE protocol of 2 types of chemo, daily radiation and 3 interferon shots per week NEXT FRIDAY. Her weekly blood work is perfect and Dr. P says she will be able to wrap this up on time. Yea!

And as a final little Maija-like note: she is past due for her mamogram. But, we both agreed that her current medications will probably qualify as preventative breast cancer treatment!!

Love to all,

Jan

2 Comments:

  • At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for the update, you are correct in thinking that we have been wondering and hopeful that things are going well. This is the first month ever since I was a kid looking forward to Christmas that I have been wishing away a month - every morning thinking this is one day closer to Maija's end of this treatment.
    Maybe there could be rewards for eating and drinking like a star chart where 10 stars means that you get a new magazine or 20 stars a new pair of shoes etc.
    Totally understand about not wanting to socialize at the moment so rent some movies and lay low, we all know that socializing again is just around the corner. If you do need a diversion however...
    You might need to plan your cruise activites, I understand that they have a really good skin care line in the spa that many of us have first hand experience trying.
    By the way, I am sure that the boys are checking out the leaves while they play golf.
    Take care. JK

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for the update, you are correct in thinking that we have been wondering and hopeful that things are going well. This is the first month ever since I was a kid looking forward to Christmas that I have been wishing away a month - every morning thinking this is one day closer to Maija's end of this treatment.
    Maybe there could be rewards for eating and drinking like a star chart where 10 stars means that you get a new magazine or 20 stars a new pair of shoes etc.
    Totally understand about not wanting to socialize at the moment so rent some movies and lay low, we all know that socializing again is just around the corner. If you do need a diversion however...
    You might need to plan your cruise activites, I understand that they have a really good skin care line in the spa that many of us have first hand experience trying.
    By the way, I am sure that the boys are checking out the leaves while they play golf.
    Take care. JK

     

Post a Comment

<< Home